The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Tickled ... brown?

So I listen to the Orvis podcasts and decided to send them a suggestion about what I'd like to hear on the podcast. There's a lot about getting the fish to take your fly, as we are all used to, but very little about fighting/playing fish. Since I've been losing a lot of fish lately, and I've been blaming myself for fighting them incorrectly, I suggested a podcast segment on playing/fighting fish and at the end I included the photo of the big brown I caught the other day. I got an email back today saying the suggestion was passed to Tom Rosenbauer and that they really liked the picture as well!

Picture of the Day: Beginner's Luck?

Needless to say, I was pretty excited , but I don't know how I feel about the title

EDIT: I forgot to add an important part: this was caught on one of Eunan/S Fontinalis' flies, so thank you very much Eunan!
mrfzx likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 11-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tickled ... brown?

That's way to cool! Congrats.

As for the title, catch another one and send it to them and say, "One is luck, two is skill."
Old 11-10-2011, 06:00 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I notice Greg senyo, the designer of the fly I tied made a comment. And mike schmidt too, two of the biggest steelhead alley guides around! Mike ties great flies too , check out his site at anglerschoiceflies.com

oh, and I got the ellicot specials today, can't wait to give them a rattle this weekend

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Awesome dude! Now can I have your autograph?

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

No autographs to fans of the War Eagle, go Gators You guys can have our scraps, even if they turn into Heisman Trophy winners.... just kidding there, as long as its in the SEC I'm cool with it, since I live in other conference territory now!

Eunan, I noticed that comment from Greg Senyo, I want to send him an email and mention that you tied the fly that I caught it on, one of his wiggle-stones. I hope you do equally well as I, if not better, using those Ellicott Specials this weekend!

Dan, when I saw the title I wanted to send photos of all of the 20+" browns I've caught lately, but then I realized that 1) since I've only been fly fishing for 2 months I guess I AM still a beginner, and 2) I'm too stoked that my photo is up there to get cocky just yet. You can bet, however, that they will be getting an email the next time I catch a big fish questioning the nature of the inspiration behind the catch

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-10-2011, 07:13 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

That is a nice fish and a nice pic, nothing to be ashamed of at all, beginner or not. Besides, I always heard that luck is what happens when preparation meets oportuniy.

Jimbo
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Doesn't hurt to be in that location when the browns are running.

Always wanted to try it.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

A.J.
Congrats on a great Brown Trout and for getting on Orvis!

Larry

Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 AM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

A.J.-- i wish i had beginners luck like that! Awesome fish! Congrats on making the Orvis page!!

I gotta ask...Is that Ellicott Creek you were fishing? I know its your preferred stomping grounds
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

FANTASTIC fish and very well colored as well. I like the idea of a fish fighting popcast as well it is expecially important when dealing with fresh/salt water heavyweights like musky, stripers, big bass, and tarpon. Not to mention some of the bruiser browns that i like to chase.