The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Two in a row!

Well, after my Pee-in-the-waders day in October, I decided to get in one more day of fly fishing before the winter sets in. The weather was predicted to get really ugly around Colorado on Saturday, so I headed to the Eagle to try and hit the brown trout spawn on Friday.
Started with my go-to all around fly, the brown jig head bugger. This fly can be used as either a nymph or streamer and this day I opted to fish it as a streamer with a sink tip line. I began fishing in one of my favorite holes: long and deep. After about 15 minutes and a couple of hard strikes that I missed, I landed a 13" brown. Moving slowly down the bend, I got a hard strike and it was obvious this was a large fish. I finally brought this fish to net and was surprised to view a very deep bodied 21" male RAINBOW!
After missing several more strikes and landing a couple of 12" rainbows, I moved to the next long, deep bend hole.
After missing 3 strikes on the first three casts, I finally landed a couple of 12" browns. It was getting very cloudy by this time and I was about to wrap it up when I noticed 3 fish rising at the tail of the pool. I switched over to my floating line and tied on a #22 griffiths and took off!
Turned out I couldn't wade out far enough to keep my backcast out of the dogwoods (I tried and had to spend 15 minutes getting the spider webs untangled twice). I opted to wade up alongside the risers and try to roll cast. Of course I put all three down in short order. Flat water risers generally don't like roll casting.
I noticed one more fish rising within a foot of the bank below a small rock. I made my way upstream, made several false casts to measure the distance and dropped the fly perfectly about 6" above where the fish was rising. Unusually skillful. The fish came up and sipped in the #22. After a head shaking fight on the end of my 6X tippet I finally landed what turned out to be an 18" brownie.
Nice cast, nice fish, fingers numb, cold front coming in and time to quit for the day and year. My next trip will be through the ice I am afraid, but, well..... midges may work if there is another break in the weather. We'll see.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Two in a row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2421 View Post
Well, after my Pee-in-the-waders day in October, I decided to get in one more day of fly fishing before the winter sets in. The weather was predicted to get really ugly around Colorado on Saturday, so I headed to the Eagle to try and hit the brown trout spawn on Friday.
Started with my go-to all around fly, the brown jig head bugger. This fly can be used as either a nymph or streamer and this day I opted to fish it as a streamer with a sink tip line. I began fishing in one of my favorite holes: long and deep. After about 15 minutes and a couple of hard strikes that I missed, I landed a 13" brown. Moving slowly down the bend, I got a hard strike and it was obvious this was a large fish. I finally brought this fish to net and was surprised to view a very deep bodied 21" male RAINBOW!
After missing several more strikes and landing a couple of 12" rainbows, I moved to the next long, deep bend hole.
After missing 3 strikes on the first three casts, I finally landed a couple of 12" browns. It was getting very cloudy by this time and I was about to wrap it up when I noticed 3 fish rising at the tail of the pool. I switched over to my floating line and tied on a #22 griffiths and took off!
Turned out I couldn't wade out far enough to keep my backcast out of the dogwoods (I tried and had to spend 15 minutes getting the spider webs untangled twice). I opted to wade up alongside the risers and try to roll cast. Of course I put all three down in short order. Flat water risers generally don't like roll casting.
I noticed one more fish rising within a foot of the bank below a small rock. I made my way upstream, made several false casts to measure the distance and dropped the fly perfectly about 6" above where the fish was rising. Unusually skillful. The fish came up and sipped in the #22. After a head shaking fight on the end of my 6X tippet I finally landed what turned out to be an 18" brownie.
Nice cast, nice fish, fingers numb, cold front coming in and time to quit for the day and year. My next trip will be through the ice I am afraid, but, well..... midges may work if there is another break in the weather. We'll see.

Great report!.....but one question, WHERE ARE THE PICS!?!?!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I feel I have enough pictures by now and that it is more important to get those big ones back in the water as soon as possible. All of these fish swam away immediately under their own power with no assistance from me other than to place them upright in the water in a calm location.
If I catch one larger than I have ever caught, THEN I will take a picture! Of course, that assumes I will have remembered to take the camera!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No worries about pictures here Bud, sometimes a photo session seems proper while other times it seems not only a big hassle but kinda silly. I have a friend who used to come here from Colorado, he took a picture of every fish and I mean every fish. Sometimes I wish I had some of the larger trout that I catch while salmon fishing but almost exclusively they are unhooked and released without fanfare. Remembering a camera is always a challenge, mine is always in the console of the boat but often I can't even see the boat from where I catch the fish.

Here there will be no reports or missed photos for quite some time. It's a winter wonderland outside with more snow falling again today. At this time of year I'm working on perfecting my style of plowing snow so that I have room to push the next batch out of the way. We have an early start on a big pile with about 16" total so far, the first couple small drops melted but now it's piling up rather nicely....................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bigdog: Thanks for the great trip report, very enjoyable reading!

Larry

Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM

sldjwu is on a distinguished road

Great report, would love to see some pictures