The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Effects of handling trout with gloves on (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/204777-effects-handling-trout-gloves.html)

ted4887 11-12-2011 02:18 PM

Effects of handling trout with gloves on

Hey guys, just for discussions sake, I felt like posting this question. How do you feel about handling trout with gloves on? Wool, neoprene, any type. Do you think that if your gloves are wet the effect is as negative as it would be with just dry gloves?

mikel 11-12-2011 03:05 PM

Re: Effects of handling trout with gloves on

I don't like doing it, but have handled steelhead with wool fingerless gloves on. I do believe if the gloves are wet and you touch them as little as possible it's better than either dry hands or gloves. I just try to leave them in the water, but once in a while buck fever overtakes me and a hero shot happens, albeit very quickly. :)

yatahey 11-12-2011 03:37 PM

I can't tell you how many fish I've seen with obvious finger and thumb prints on them that have turned to fungal infections. Also fish who's tails have rotted off because of people handling them with gloves on. It's a slow death for the fish.

ted4887 11-12-2011 03:42 PM

Do you think it's a definite death sentence for all trout handled with gloves, even if they're wet gloves?

gatortransplant 11-12-2011 04:08 PM

I hardly doubt its a death sentence for all trout, and it highly depends on what gloves. HOWEVER, there are people who handle fish poorly W/O gloves on that do just as much damage to people who bungle handling fish w/ gloves on. The abrasiveness of the material certainly has something to do with it. If you know what you're doing and you're wearing fingerless gloves and they are wet, you should be ok as long as you're not putting a vise-grip on the fish. Needless to say, you're best off taking the hook out of the fish's mouth with your forceps while it's in the safety of a net, but sometimes a picture or two happens and thus the fish must be handled. Just be careful and handle the fish as little as possible, I would say.

EDIT: I would be interested to see what materials are best. I know that wet leather SEEMS very slick, as does wet neoprene, but the both of them (along with wool, for that matter) are quite abrasive when dry. Maybe suede would be the best?

yatahey 11-12-2011 06:02 PM

I have a friend who wears latex surgical type gloves over his regular gloves. That seems to work well.

fredaevans 11-12-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yatahey (Post 346600)
I have a friend who wears latex surgical type gloves over his regular gloves. That seems to work well.

A bit 'extrema,';) but not a bad idea if you can get them on while your rods jumping around. But I think this cuts to the core:

"I do believe if the gloves are wet and you touch them as little as possible it's better than either dry hands or gloves."

Guys, you've got him/her on the beach. Kill it? Release it? First a large rock will take care of the first; second just cut your bloody leader ASAP (frack the fly:bowdown:) and get him/her back into the river.:army:

fae

cpiercem 11-12-2011 07:55 PM

Dish washing gloves over thin regular gloves seem to work well too, and they aren't as tight a fit. Not for tying knots in though!!

caseywise 11-12-2011 11:22 PM

i wear my glacier gloves-dr.shade gloves almost all the time. i just had a buddy get a suspect spot removed of the top of his hand,luckily no cancer.....so. no brainer-wear the gloves.

casey

webrx 11-13-2011 09:13 AM

net em, grab the fly with your forceps, flip it out of the fish, and let em go seems to work best for me, if you gotta grab em, wet your hands (or gloves) and handle as little as possible keeping your hands away from the gills, make sure they are recovered before releasing them.

If your not gonna be gentle with them, then use the rock as suggested above and have a meal.