The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wind, moccassins, and leaky waders

We had our fly club annual banquet/auction Friday night. Great food, some cool things auctioned off, but I came home with only a TVFF club hat and a year of Florida Sportsman magazines. The framed fly plates and rod/reels went for quite a bit more than I was willing to pay. All the fishing talk had me dead set on fishing all weekend. Decided that I would stay relatively close and hit my usual trout stream.

Woke up at 5:00 am Saturday morning and got on the water by 7. It was a slow day. I felt like a retard trying to pick nymphs, because I had gotten so used to fishing dry flies. I have only fished during the spring and summer, where all I needed was dry flies. So I had absolutely no clue what to try first, and it didn't help much that I had a box full of options. Missed a few hits on beadhead hare's ear and prince nymphs. Pulled out the streamer box and still wasn't quite sure which one. Tried a white zonker, no particular reason, just always heard white was a good color. Finally got a hit!
Click the image to open in full size.

Couldn't buy another bite, so I decided that was it for the day. Plus, my waders had serious leaks (in the seams) of both legs. My feet were ice cold and I pretty much couldn't feel them anymore. On my way back, I took a quick detour to check out my brown trout spot.
Just walked around watching the water, I saw a few small ones swimming around, but just didn't feel like trying.

By the time I got home, I turned the heat up, brought out a space heater and lit a fire.

I had also rushed back to catch the Auburn/Georgia game. Hind sight is 20/20, but after watching that game, I wish I would have stayed in the water catching no fish in leaky waders. **** poor performance. After the difficulty pulling my waders down to drain my old man bladder and the leaks, I went ahead and bought new waders online. They should be here Tuesday. Ended up getting the Redington SonicSeam zip fronts.

Once I thawed out, I just called it a night and hoped for better things tomorrow.

Fast forward to Sunday morning

Got on the water about 8, it was calm, water was low and I was dead set on fishing one fly. Went with the standard small olive wooly bugger.

Took about 3 minutes before I had a fish on....

Then another...

And another...

It just kept going and going.....

Also caught one too many of these little thieves...

Around 11, the wind picked up to 30-40 mph gusts. Casting became difficult, my waders were still leaky, and I had caught fish. So I decided to call it a day. On the way back to my car I was inches from stepping on a big fat water moccasin on the river bank. It was cold enough that I thought I wouldn't have to worry about my no-legged serpent friends. I was wrong. I decided not to take a picture and just get the heck out of there.

I caught probably 12 or 13 trout today. Missed and/or lost about as many, including once nice one that had my 5wt bent pretty good. It was nice to show the bows some love since I have been all brown or brook trout for the past 5 months.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wind, moccassins, and leaky waders

Way to rally back after the slow day! I love following up a slow day with a great one, but I can't say I've been doing a whole lot of that lately, haha. New waders is an exciting purchase, I'll need to do that next year to get some breathables, but I'm trying to balance that purchase with a new rod and reel, because of course I need a new set-up And I didn't know mini-tarpon were present in Alabama?!?! Just kidding

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice trip report! I can't believe you stayed out that long with leaky waders, those new Redington's will be a welcome relief from the cold!

Larry

Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. Those darn mini-tarpon are quite annoying. At least it's better than nothing though. As for the waders, while I was fishing, the cold water seeping in didn't bother me. Just like other things don't bother me while I'm fishing: hunger, thirst, girlfriend calling cell phone, etc. However, once I get out of the water, that's a different story.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
As for the waders, while I was fishing, the cold water seeping in didn't bother me. Just like other things don't bother me while I'm fishing: hunger, thirst, girlfriend calling cell phone, etc. However, once I get out of the water, that's a different story.
So right! It seems that standing in water has that effect on me too!