The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM

robbyz5001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is 5 weight fly rod for steelhead possible?

I am debating the same thing you are. I am new to fly fishing, and this post cleared up some confusion.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyz5001 View Post
I am debating the same thing you are. I am new to fly fishing, and this post cleared up some confusion.
I started this thread in 2011 when i first started fly fishing for steelhead. Now that I have hooked and caught a few on a 5 weight, I can answer my own question. As indicated by others on this thread, it can be done but it is certainly not the preferred equipment. I lost two or three fish that simply had me outmatched with my 9 foot 5 weight.

I suppose fishing a 5 weight would be a better experience in a more remote stream, but on the crowded streams around Erie, Pennsylvania I would avoid it if possible. In those waters you just don't have the room to fight a fish for 20 minutes and chase it down stream without disrupting other fishermen and losing your spot on the water.

I actually met another guy fishing a 5 weight on Elk creek one day. We fished together for a couple hours until he hooked into a big fish - it would have been his first steelhead on a fly rod. But, when he was trying to hold back the initial run, his rod snapped. I assume his rod had some defect but I am not surprised that the rod was pushed to its limit. Those a fish are STRONG!

I will not be fishing my 5 weight for steelhead again and I also agree that a ten foot 7 weight should be ideal for that water. I picked one up used last winter. Now if I can just hurry up and decide on a reel!

With all that said, I still had a blast fishing my little 5 weight last year and it still helped me learn a thousand lessons and I even caught a few. There are a lot of things to learn when it comes to fishing steelhead on a fly...but the reward is worth it!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"I will not be fishing my 5 weight for steelhead again and I also agree that a ten foot 7 weight should be ideal for that water."

Guy just above me has a pet rock he stands on ... and plugs up the entire run ... but let's just leave it at that. Uses a 5wt year around and hooked a Salmon (he thinks it was a big Steelhead, think what you wish) and almost no contest until the fish (in 6" deep water) spit the fly (or more likely came un pinded).

I hooked/released a 'dink.'

Moved a hundred yards (give or take) down stream and pulled the 5wt (12'6")two hander and almost an immediate BINGO!!!! End game was I had to do a 'pole flat to the water to break him off,' no way was that rod up to landing that fish.

You hook, you know you're 'out-gunned,' do the obvious.

fae
mcnerney and MoscaPescador like this.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

IDK where you are fishing but i have caught steelhead in Erie PA on a 3/4 7.5 ft rod. Yes i know i worked the living **** out of the fish until a could pull them in. It is possible to use a 5 wt make a challenge for yourself and learn to run the creek with the fish!

i also have a 10' 7wt for the steelies when i just want to land them