The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 PM

louisianatrapper is on a distinguished road
Default Gatlinburg TN

MY family is going to Gatlinburg for thanksgiving. We went to the Little River last year and had a little luck. Any idea what there hitting now? thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gatlinburg TN

Visit the fly shop there in town. Buy a half dozen or dozen of flies. I am sure they will be able to tell you where to go. The shop is The Smoky Mountain Angler I do believe...

-Forrest
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

I was there over the summer. Tried fishing in Gatlinburg but the crowds were insane. Drove through the Smokies until I got to the Indian Reservation. Right before you get into that town there is a river I fished that fished really well. I can't think of the name right now, but it's worth the trip.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianatrapper View Post
MY family is going to Gatlinburg for thanksgiving. We went to the Little River last year and had a little luck. Any idea what there hitting now? thanks
I fished the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon back in the beginning of October. I didn't catch but one fish, had a great time hiking the river though. Talk to the guys at Smoky Mountain Angler, they were great guys and will put you on some fish.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Talk to smoky mountain angler and get a new park map. I had some great luck in mid september when I was there. over two days of brief fishing ( it was a family vacay ) i brought to hand over 3 dozen brookies. just find a small stream that deep back in the park and fish it. green, yellow and orange are the colors for drys and dark small nymphs.

You will need a state permit if you want to fish in the park, and then a city permit if you want to fish right thru gatlinburg just as an FYI

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

I would most likely be fishing a nymph such as a Telico or Prince or BHPT. They will need to be ticking bottom but the fishing in the park has been good.
I would drive over to Little River Outfitters and see what they have to say.
Good Luck,
Austin
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM

knik is on a distinguished road

PM sent................................
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Talk to the guys at Little River Outfitters in Townsend. I would also fish outside the national park as the fish there are wild and very small on average.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Some years ago the owner of the fly shop took me fishing. He used braided baitcasting line with a long leader and a yellowhammer. Short line casting in pocket water. Oh, and WATCH THE GREYBACKS IF YOU WEAR FELTS!