The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is it about Steelheads....

There is just something about landing a fish like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

In a river like this:

That does it for me. I am not into targeting them in the skinny water on their spawning grounds myself. I like targeting them on a big river swinging flies to them. Granted I will nymph for them from time to time but given the choice I will swing for em. There is just something about feeling the take that works for me.As far as the fight goes well it isn't like any trout. Fighting a steelhead vs. a big rainbow (I have done both) is not even close to the same thing.

It is either something you are into or not. I mean seriously standing in a cold river all day sometimes while it is raining/snowing. Hoping that you may get a take. This type of fishing isn't for everybody

Now I have never fished for Lake Run rainbows so I can't speak to that experience.

fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

steelface :: P2030040.jpg picture by mtflyfishguide - Photobucket

this one came from the Clearwater in Idaho
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

For me its the challenge. I am competitive to a fault so the old saying that goes something like, "10% of the anglers catch 90% of the Steelhead" drives me bananas. I can't stand the thought of being outwitted by a fish or outfished by someone else.

I first fished steelhead out of curiosity this fall. I fished HARD on the first day...like 9 hours straight before I got my first take in some fast moving riffles right before dusk. I was tired, starving, discouraged, and my back and shoulder was screaming for relief but I will never forget the exhilaration of that take. I had never felt such a powerful animal on the end of my fly rod! I had no chance of landing it.

I did not manage to land one until my fourth day out...and I landed two, both about 23 inches that looked almost identical:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

By the way, I do NOT recommend trying to land one on a 5 weight rod. It obviously can be done but of the 2 or 3 fresh fish I hooked before I landed the old one in the picture, I am not sure what was going to happen if they did not throw the hook. I feared for my equipment!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been fun to watch develop, the pics and heart felt appreciation of this amazing fish are wonderful to see, but in a way I feel it's pointless without mentioning the struggle that the species faces now and in the future.

So if I may ask those that fish for them now, and those who are planning to in the future to educate themselves about the struggles of the wild Steelhead and their decreasing numbers. Everyone needs to do what they can to help raise awareness so future generations can enjoy them too.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box now.
Pocono, Sasha, fredaevans and 2 others like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, Fysh.

For me, Steelhead fishing is a C&R sport; just the same as for trout, salmon, bass, bones, etc.

Single hooks, no barbs, a quick pic, a gentle release and it's on to the next fish; knowing that the one that I just released will be smarter; at least for the next few minutes........................

Pocono
ghost_reaper likes this.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

***Bump***

Because I would rather read this awesome thread over that "change the law" thread.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

nothing better than a wild buck

uh, maybe a wild hen?

milt spawn, oarfish and rubberguy like this.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Some good looking fish!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road

I just found this forum. I had a great weekend fishing for Steelhead with my father and thought I'd see what information is out there for nuts like us.

I think the reason Steelhead are so sought after is the size and quantity. 2-3 years ago, it was nothing to land 15-25 fish in a good 6-7 hour day. The fish ranged from 6 to 13lbs and they're a blast when they're fresh run.

With the rage for steelhead over the past few years, the fish population seems to have declined quite a bit. A good day now is 4-6 fish with most days only being 2 or 3. Hopefully the steelhead craze will slow down or people will start practiciing catch and release (or even taking just the legal limit). My father and I watched 3 guys sneak fish off the river on Saturday having more than their limit.

They're a lot of fun when you can get them, and we fish the small steams. You can get 15lb plus on the larger rivers off Ontario.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road

Here's one of them from this past Saturday. I really didn't mean to have a death grip on it, but I couldn't feel my fingers.