The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is it about Steelheads....

Its amazing to see how this thread has evolved. When I first started it, it was purely from a curiosity stand point. I knew, or should say know nothing about the species. Living down here in NC, we don't get steelhead, at least not that I am aware of. Now reading over all these posts and seeing the pictures, I feel like I will be taking a trip back north under the guise of visiting my in-laws just so I can get some steelhead fishing in.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

For me this past weekend it was about perfect weather and water conditions and getting to the river before anyone else while the wife and kids were still sleeping...Caught this hen on the first drift!

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
For me this past weekend it was about perfect weather and water conditions and getting to the river before anyone else while the wife and kids were still sleeping...Caught this hen on the first drift!

Whoa! That's a fatty! MT had a beauty too...and Sasha had some. Wow, those little waters have some nice fish in them. Gotta get up there some time.

Ghochevar...that cork looks awfully clean...new stick?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

You're welcome any time you'd like mikel...we have some pretty good action October thru March here on the Ohio Rivers in steelhead ally.

It is a new stick...went from an 8wt to 7wt and its the Hydros courtesy of a buddy at the Orvis store here...Reel is a Nautilus from my buddies at Chagrin River Outfitters. Its a pretty sweet set-up.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there's nothing like chasing the wild steel hot from the sea in the PNW, but living within a 2 hour drive from one of the Great Lakes has it's perks. For me, much like any other type of fly fishing, it's the challenge of figuring out which fly, where they're laying, and the opportunity to land a 4-6lb (on average) fish. Some days your arm gets tired, other days you take the fly rod for a walk and will do anything to find a willing fish. When you hook into one that decides to take a run you'll know that's what its all about. Nice fish ghocevar! And BTW, that's a beautiful Jeep too.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What filter/effect is that you've used on that photo, Jaybo? Its neat, not to mention that's a big ol' hen...

As far as a trip north to see the in-laws, make it happen! Let's get out after some Great Lakes dimes

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
What filter/effect is that you've used on that photo, Jaybo?
Thanks Gator. It's an effect you can apply from Photobucket called "Fresco".
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'll have to try it out with my next fish, but now that I say that I won't catch one for a while...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

For what its worth there are "wild" steelhead in the great lakes. The Brule in WI is one of the rivers (only in WI) that has them. Last year was my first year at it. I live 20 minutes from one of the Lake Michigan Tribs. I managed to catch 3 last spring. And about 50 in the Fall. I managed to catch 2 "wild" steelhead in the Brule last fall. We have a bonus of having monster browns (I saw a 34" pulled in last fall) also. I have yet to catch a big brown yet, my biggest was only 26". And we have Kings and Coho's too. But of all of these I love the steelhead best. I don't know why I didn't do this for all the years I lived here.

I actually like the smaller rivers, The brule is maybe 100-200cfm and the one I live close to is about 100-150. I did catch one last spring in a small creek. That was very intense. When fishing the smaller rivers they may not peel off tons of line but they sure do have lots of "junk" to run into that makes it interesting.

In the Great Lakes it seems as there are several ways to catch them, nymphing, eggs under indicators, Swinging flies, stripping streamers. They even catch them thru the ice in the rivers.

Great fish, lost of heart stopping runs, jumps, head shakes and alligator rolls. You never know what they are going to do. The best I can describe it is they are electric when you hook into one, they can just go bonkers. You can tell a brown from a steelhead before even seeing the fish. A brown just does not have the fire in his belly like a Steelhead does.

I am all amped up now. I gotta go Steelheading Tommorrow!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

5 minute teaser about a new Steelhead conversation flick coming out in 2013.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*