The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM

let m go will become famous soon enoughlet m go will become famous soon enough
Default Weight Placement for Nymphing

New to fly fishing, when fishing 2 nymphs where is the best locationd for split shot? I tie the second fly off the shank of the first fly. Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight Placement for Nymphing

I would put it above the first nymph, otherwise the weight below it might deaden it's action in the water. It's similar to fishing one weighted nymph with an unweighted trailing it. I suppose different situations might call for a different set-up though.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River. Vary the amount of shot depending on speed and depth of the water your fishing.

I don't indicator fish very often, but when I do....

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by let m go View Post
New to fly fishing, when fishing 2 nymphs where is the best locationd for split shot? I tie the second fly off the shank of the first fly. Thanks
You don't say whether you are fishing below a strike indicator or are not using an indicator.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River.
Man, one of my favorite techniques AND Zeppelin? Speakin' my language bud.

A few points- one doesn't have to use a handful of shot for the technique. On slower water, I frequently run a bounce rig with two #6 shot on point.

Also, if you're going to use their clinch on standing line with overhand knots for stoppers, your standing line better be stout, because overhand knots cut its breaking strength by about half.

I normally build my two fly bounce rigs by tying on tippet twice and leaving the tags long. If you drop down to lighter mono for the point section, you can break snagged weights off and get your flies back.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You could also try the "bounce rig" which places the weight at the very bottom of a two fly nymphing rig. It's a very popular and effective set up used a lot on our Provo River. Vary the amount of shot depending on speed and depth of the water your fishing.
Provo River "Bounce" Technique - YouTube

I don't indicator fish very often, but when I do....
fysh, is this method legal in Utah? milt.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Milt, yes, it is legal here, infact the video was taken on a river just over an hour from my place. Now if you were to add another fly(3) to the setup you would have a problem.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Other than fishing the bounce rig, I too like the weight to be above the first fly and not between the two flies. Another bad thing about putting it between the two flies is that it seems to get tangled up a lot worse when the weight is in that position.

By the way, I don't tie a separate piece of tippet off the bend of the first fly's hook. What I do is take a single length of tippet, 18-24 inches long, tie it to my leader. Then I tie the first fly with a palomar knot so that it's 6-8 inches below the leader/tippet connection. The rest of the tippet is simply a long tag end of the palomar knot hanging off the first fly, and I tie the second fly onto the end of that tag end. Then I place my split shot just above the knot connecting leader to tippet, which keeps the weight from sliding down to the first fly. Quicker and easier than tying the separate piece of tippet to the hook bend (one less knot to tie). Some people say that having the tag end coming off the eye of the first fly instead of the hook bend inhibits the drift of the first fly, but I catch plenty of fish on the first fly with my rig. You might want to try it and see if it works for you.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Milt, yes, it is legal here, infact the video was taken on a river just over an hour from my place. Now if you were to add another fly(3) to the setup you would have a problem.
Interesting, in CA you are allowed 3 flies, but technically the weight at the terminal end is illegal. I assume the MP is barbless/artificials regs? So a spin angler could use say, a Rapala with two barbless trebles (6hooks), but you cannot use three single barbless fly hooks? milt.Sorry about the hijack!

Last edited by milt spawn; 12-01-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Apology
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard of other states being ok with a 3 fly rig too. Can you tell me why Cali has an issue with weight on the bottom?