The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default The bounce rig

How would this work fishing from a drift boat? It seems interesting to me and could definitely be killer up here on a tailwater river.

But that does bring into the question of water depth. If the water depth is always changing what length of leader would you use. Water ranging from 2feet deep - 8 feet deep. Knowing not to use weighted flies, would bounce nymphing be restricted to smaller nymphs? Or could one bounce nymph a big stonefly?

Usually i run a stonefly nymph - san juan worm - smaller nymph. Just a bit confusing trying to wrap my head around this.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The bounce rig

What are you going to do when the rig gets snagged as happens more frequently than a strike indicator rig?

When wading you can change the angle of pull and get upstream of the rig to free the jammed shot. That is not possible from a boat drifting downstream.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

So it would make more sense to have a rod rigged up for walk and wade like this rather the fishing the rig from a drift boat?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhflyfisher View Post
So it would make more sense to have a rod rigged up for walk and wade like this rather the fishing the rig from a drift boat?
Yes, I use less weight when I am on a drift boat as opposed to when I wade.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
What are you going to do when the rig gets snagged...
That's actually one advantage of a bounce rig- it doesn't hang up as much since the weight is skinny, flexible, and hookless, unlike a rig with a heavy stonefly nymph on point.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

What you describe is 'the norm' for the Guides here on the upper Rogue river. Leader is (roughly) slightly longer than the (expected) depth of the water and always a big indicator.

Weighted 'Bugs' hang down from this. Hang ups are actually very rare.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I would stick with the natural dead drift right off the bottom otherwise you have a snag every cast? Idk

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM

In may/june/july when the stones start to move around, its not uncommon to fish 2 heavy stonefly nymphs and a big arse heavily weighted san juan worm under an big thingamabobber, along with 2-8 split shot all through out the rig, usually about a 9 foot leader drifted along with from a drift boat. This gets the fly down to the bottom fast, its just slowing the drift down seems like it would be easier with a bounce rig.

But the bounce rig sounds like a great way to fish when we get out to walk and wade. I'll definitely look into that.