The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default What a Day

Hi All,

Been awhile since I've posted. We went to the San Juan weekend before last for a fantastic day of wade fishing with Paul Freeman of Roughrider Guide Service. Unfortunately, he's in the middle of moving to Boise, ID now.

This was our first trip and it's truly a special and amazing place. I'm not sure how many fish were brought to the net as I stopped "keeping score" at about 10 and just enjoyed it all! There were probably over twice as many hookups.

The midge hatch in the morning was something to see. If they would have been skeeters, there would have been a real bloodletting! Flies used were smaller than anything I've ever used before - 22s and 24s. I've even gotten over my fear and have started tying a few of my own - they really are a blast to tie.

It was a genuine pleasure fishing with Paul and we're fortunate to have such decent people like him in our world. My only regret was not meeting or fishing with him sooner.

If you haven't experienced fishing on the San Juan, you owe it to yourself to do so at least once. We're planning on going up once or twice a month since it's only 3 hours from here. It really is a special place!

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philg_bow2.jpg (43.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: What a Day

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the report. Yes it is a special place and one of my favorite places to fish.

You need to get yourself a pontoon boat. It works great on the San Juan and opens up a lot more water to you. Helps you get away from the waders. Where are you driving from? My avatar is from the San Juan.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Hi Frank,

I live down the road in Albuquerque. I have a pretty cool work schedule as I'm off Sunday-Tuesday one week and Sunday-Wednesday the next. That allows for some pretty decent time on the water away from the typical weekend crowds. I've made it a point to try a new water every week if I get the chance. Did the Jemez streams on Sunday, but the 4th crowd was a little much. We did find a few places and picked up a few small browns here and there.

Yea, I need to get a 'toon one of these days. I haven't gotten the "new rod" bug in a couple of months, so I could probably afford one if I put my mind to it.

Forgot to mention earlier, but I saw why the "San Juan Shuffle" is illegal. At any given time, there were several fish directly downstream of me looking for a snack I may have kicked up. There was one that probably went 24" or so hanging out by my feet for several minutes like a dog would. Amazing.

Phil
Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Phil,

Not fishing on the weekend is a big help. You should make a trip over to Lee's Ferry on the Colorado. The river above Lee's Ferry is the prettiest water I have ever fished. The water is beautiful and being down in that deep canyon is unlike any other place. You might even see a Condor flying overhead. The problem with Lee's Ferry is you need a boat to fish up stream. We always had a guide and they used inboard jet boats. You can rent an outboard jet boat but you need a trailer hitch to pull it to the launch. If you have not been there you need to give it a try at least once.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Paul Freeman is a great guy. I'm sorry to see him leave the San Juan.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

Phil, it was an absolute pleasure fishing with you and Debbie! You guys did so well and you will be able to catch lots of fish on your upcoming trips. I already miss the San Juan and I have only been gone for less than a week. I will let you know if and I when I start guiding in the Boise area. Steve & Phil, thanks for the nice words! This is a great site and I will start posting more often.
Paul
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I hear tale that the ant hatch is on. Anyone, fishing it?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

I spoke with two guides from the Juan last night and was told the ants fell yesterday morning. Fish should be looking up for several days, they love them ants!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
I hear tale that the ant hatch is on. Anyone, fishing it?
Thanks,
Terry
In the words of Paul Freeman, "I'd drive 3 hours for 18" trout". Headed that way on Sunday and will be there bright and early. It's cool living so close.

Phil