The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ice off

Hmmmm, I will have to try this chap stick method next week. Getting the ice off of my guides last week was a pain in the @ss.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM

bamaboy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Ice off

I watched a video by Rio on cleaning your fly line, and they said they didn't reccomend useing anything like "son of a gun" or 'Armour All' on fly lines. I don't know thats just what they said.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Try this - I have been using it for quite a while in the Eastern Sierras, in Winter...It works real good...

Loon Stanley's Ice-Off Paste

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Jackster's approach works most of the time for me.
Literally, single hand style. The other in your pocket keeping warm.
A fixed amount of line out, and water-load/rollcast.
No line through the guides=no freezing.
When you get it down, you can switch hands, and warm the other one.
Yep, left handed......or whatever's not busy...
Failing that, I use (Dave) Stanley's Paste. (Supporting locals)
He fished a lot of chilly temps, to come up with it.
Slick shooter/Greased Lightning is OK for lines, clean is good.....

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Stanley's for me. Hadn't really given much thought to applying it directly to the line but have made note of that.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Jay, didn't mention using Stanley's on the line. Just line cleaners..
And, I carry a back-up tube of chapstick in the truck...
We have a warm window, so no "ice" fishing right now.
Thankfully....
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Bigfly, the suggestion for the line was in the video from planettrout's post.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
I watched a video by Rio on cleaning your fly line, and they said they didn't reccomend useing anything like "son of a gun" or 'Armour All' on fly lines. I don't know thats just what they said.
BB it's the stuff that fly lines are coated with that doesn't like these products. (PVC?)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
Dan,
How in hte world do you discover "by accident" that treating your fly fishing line with STP Son of a Gun alleviates icing on your line????
Anyway, is that a petroleum product that might harm your line?
Primary ingredient is silicone, with a small amount of alcohol, plus water as the carrier

http://www.armoredautogroup.com/pdf/...t-(6-2011).pdf

http://www.jeadauto.com/msds/stp/stp-son-of-gun.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy