The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default Ice off

My most memorable fly fishing experiences, without a doubt, were during winter: Beautiful scenery, solitude, the fish are less wary, and they go for the smallest flies I can tie!
One very effective fly here in CO: Deep Blue Poison Tung (Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials) in size 22-24.

Keeping warm is difficult but the most annoying aspect of winter fishing for me is ICE.

My question: What product/tricks do you guys use to keep ice off of your line and your rod?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Re: Ice off

Dunking the rod in the water has usually done it for me, otherwise just breaking the ice off the guides myself, carefully. I've never tried any product, and would be interested in hearing if they actually work.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I use a stick of Chapstick. I rub a bit on each guide. Vaseline also works, but being a petroleum pruduct I was worried it would affect the flyline.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

Black label chapstick. We hit the south fork of the snake on saturday and decieded to try it out vs my loon de-icer. they did about the same thing, and chapstick was $2.00, not $5.95. the temps were in the low 20's and we caught 11 fish, mostly rainbows, but a few cuttys.....all on the dry fly, the smaller the better!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered it this Fall by accident. I was fishing everynight and the temps got into the low 20's. I was having fairly serious icing problems. My line also was fairly dirty. Before I went fishing the next night I cleaned my line with a wet paper towel then treated it with STP Son of a Gun. My favorite line slick. The next night it got down to 21 degrees F. No ice on the guides.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

son of a gun!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I discovered it this Fall by accident. I was fishing everynight and the temps got into the low 20's. I was having fairly serious icing problems. My line also was fairly dirty. Before I went fishing the next night I cleaned my line with a wet paper towel then treated it with STP Son of a Gun. My favorite line slick. The next night it got down to 21 degrees F. No ice on the guides.
Dan: That is a great tip, next time I'm planning a trip in the cold I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Larry

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Jk, unfortunately, when icing is a real issue for me, dunking the rod in water will ensure that once out of the water the ice built up will be worse than before....

Homer,
Black label chapstick is a great suggestion. Will definitely try! Thanks.

Dan,
How in hte world do you discover "by accident" that treating your fly fishing line with STP Son of a Gun alleviates icing on your line????
Anyway, is that a petroleum product that might harm your line?

Last edited by colotrout; 12-14-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Try fishing with one length of line. It's the stripping wet line in that causes the ice build up.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
Jk, unfortunately, when icing is a real issue for me, dunking the rod in water will ensure that once out of the water the ice built up will be worse than before....

Homer,
Black label chapstick is a great suggestion. Will definitely try! Thanks.

Dan,
How in hte world do you discover "by accident" that treating your fly fishing line with STP Son of a Gun alleviates icing on your line????
Anyway, is that a petroleum product that might harm your line?
It's silicone based.