The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of my comfort zone, boy did it hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I made a promise to focus on Trout fishing this year and I intend to keep it.
Can't tell you how many times I've said that

.... then going 2-3 times and spending the rest of the season fishing the salt
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Can't tell you how many times I've said that

.... then going 2-3 times and spending the rest of the season fishing the salt
I know Rip, I know. I plan on fishing them until the spring run kicks in. We'll see how I do...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Quote:
5X I would love to blame the hardware but honestly I was a train wreck. I must have looked like I was blindfolded and had my shoelaces tied together! Navigating structure with a fish on is new to me and belive me there was plenty of structure for them to run to.
Try 3X next time with those patterns. It's a bit stronger and will give you more ability to turn the fish and keep them out of structure. Going from 5X to 3X is like upgrading to power steering, game on.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromney View Post
Try 3X next time with those patterns. It's a bit stronger and will give you more ability to turn the fish and keep them out of structure. Going from 5X to 3X is like upgrading to power steering, game on.
I will, thanks Cromney. Maybe with 3X I won't look like a dancing bear at the circus next time!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Quote:
I will, thanks Cromney. Maybe with 3X I won't look like a dancing bear at the circus next time!
No worries, it should help. I can't remember the last time I used 5X nymphing. I usually use 4X to my dropper and depending on what my first "nymph" is it could be 2X tippet. Here is good snip:
Going Deep In The Name Of Trout Research | Field & Stream
Old 12-22-2011, 02:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like you've dialed in and found a fly that will produce fish--which is a good thing, you have something that you're confident in and can always go back to it if need be.

If I'm fishing a stream and the water is on the high side, I can't resist throwing streamers. I wouldn't hesitate to throw buggers or pick your favorite and go with it. SJ Worms are always something that you should have handy shortly after or during a rain. Take a walk and look around by the stream banks, you will see those small red worms that the bait guys hook up with.

I try not to go fishing when the water is moving that good, mostly because I've had marginal success in conditions like that. With that said, I am opportunistic and if I have time to do it, don't let the conditions dictate whether or not to make a trip. You catch nothing on the couch or chair. These days, as long as I don't have obligations, I'm "fished out" or the conditions are just so deplorable, I try and go and make the best of it.

Most of my success in conditions like this has been closest to the bank. The last time I chased GL Steel, the water was moving and all of my catches and hookups were no more than a few feet in front of me near the shelf coming off of the bank.

The good news is that it looks as though you had fun and that's what it's all about.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I had fun reading this one. I lost so many fish in fast water the first two summers, and finally learned to 'steer' them into eddies better this year.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks tb. I learned a long time ago that if you can make fun of yourself you'll never run out of material.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Careful man! When I lived back there I would head NW and never want to come home. It gets addicting really quick, stripers could take a back seat Have you been up to the Little Flat Brooke and those Delware tribs yet?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Careful man! When I lived back there I would head NW and never want to come home. It gets addicting really quick, stripers could take a back seat Have you been up to the Little Flat Brooke and those Delware tribs yet?
Negative. I started at Shannon's flyshop and have been working my way out. Califon, the Gorge, South Branch and now the Pequest. I'm enjoying it but I don't know about Stripers taking a backseat Trout don't normally hit 40lbs+ around here