The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Out of my comfort zone, boy did it hurt.

Hey guys,

I made a promise to focus on Trout fishing this year and I intend to keep it. With the beach and 5 lakes 20 minutes from me it's tough to drive 90 minutes to fish Trout. I took a ride up to the Pequest hatchery this Wed to try and catch a few.
The scenery was beautiful, the tippets were small and I lost enough eggs to make breakfast for 5! I managed to get 4 fish on but only one even got close enough for me to see. He rolled over 6" from my net, smiled and spit my hook. The other 3 ran all sorts of zigzag patterns that had me tripping over rocks and running into branches. I had a great time but boy does it hurt to leave your comfort zone and learn something new.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Out of my comfort zone, boy did it hurt.

That water is moving, it looks to be high? And coming from a saltwater and stillwater background, fighting fish in moving water is an entirely new animal, but I'm sure you'll catch on fast! It's all a game of not pulling the fly straight back out of the fish's mouth, which I still do regularly, haha. But compared to surf-fishing, the scenery can't be beat! I love fishing moving water, I'm happy to be in an area where I can do it. But I'm not complaining about getting the holidays to fish saltwater.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Keep at it, you will get that hang of it shortly! That stream sure looks like a dream to fish, but the water sure looks high, reminds me of spring run off.
Everything around here is frozen solid except for the tailwaters so consider yourself lucky to be able to fish a stream like that this time of year.

Larry

Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Four hookups and one almost in the net in that high water? I think you're doing just fine. Hang in there...remember to stay safe in high, cold winter water. Looks like a SJ worm hatch might be on there.

-Mike
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Four hookups and one almost in the net in that high water? I think you're doing just fine. Hang in there...remember to stay safe in high, cold winter water. Looks like a SJ worm hatch might be on there.

-Mike
Mike: Funny you mentioned the SJ worm, that was the first thing I thought when I looked at how high that water was.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly was moving, 340 cfs on Wed morning. According to local intel egg patterns are a "sure thing" this time of year and the hatchery cuts loose some big rainbows in the fall. I'm pretty sure I have enough knowledge (thanks to you guys) to catch them but putting it into practice was a bit challenging. Luckily it's the only game in town until the spring so I have time to practice.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Can you use multiple flies? Something heavy like a double bead stone might be useful to keep your egg where you want it, plus it means not having to deal with shot (or much of it at least). Were you using an indicator or no? And what kind of egg pattern? With water that high an Eggi Juan Kenobi might be plain murderous. However my go-to lately when using egg patterns has been a giant ugly estaz-tied sucker spawn. It's taken everything from salmon to steelhead.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Nice report. What size tippet are you using? Maybe a bigger/stronger tippet is in order. Typically fish aren't tipper shy when throwing roe so put on the steel cable...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Yeah, Cromney throws out a good question with that one. Was the tippet popping or were the fish just throwing the hooks?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromney View Post
Nice report. What size tippet are you using? Maybe a bigger/stronger tippet is in order....
5X I would love to blame the hardware but honestly I was a train wreck. I must have looked like I was blindfolded and had my shoelaces tied together! Navigating structure with a fish on is new to me and belive me there was plenty of structure for them to run to.

This is what they were eating, as fast as I could tie them on. I tied up a fresh batch last night, hopefully I can sneak out on Christmas Eve.