The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM

anadromous angling addict has a spectacular aura aboutanadromous angling addict has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to Fly Fish for Salmon in B.C./Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
AAA,

That was a great first post to say the least!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will look through our threads and offer your expertise to other posters as well. Where exactly are you located at?

Ard
Hi Ard,

I'm new to fishing forums, finally decided to let technology into my world!

Thanks for the kind words, I will try to help out where I can. I'm in Vancouver right now, and will (hopefully) be working in The Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii) with one of the lodges this summer.

Regards,
AAA

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominio View Post
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions so far, the plan is to visit friends on the B.C. Alberta Border then work my way West to where there is some good fly fishing to be had and spend a week or two there! Off the beach or wading away from the crowds or just a little off the beaten track with a fly perhaps not with a spinner or sat in a boat with a pink ping pong ball or a bag of Salmon eggs I dont mind doing this but just dosnt light my bonfire! I am not quite sure when my visit will take place, however any tips as to when I should think about timing my visit would be most gratefully received!
THANKS VERY much for the tips and advice I have received so far!
Regards Dominik
Dominik,
May I suggest replying to this post when you have a better idea when you will be out this way? The timing for some of these runs can have as little as a two week period of optimal fishing. I will try my best to help you out at that time.

regards,
AAA

Last edited by anadromous angling addict; 01-02-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM

ra40 is on a distinguished road

Dominik, once you know when you are coming, you can send me an e-mail and I will do my best to help you out with available fisheries. sts@guidebc.com

Good Luck and enjoy BC, it's a beautiful place to visit.

Click the image to open in full size.

Upper Pitt River

Click the image to open in full size.

Fraser Canyon
Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Dominio...since my 1st reply added no value I've felt guilty. My friend and I are planning a long trip in BC once he retires. We'll be driving and taking float tubes and kayaks.

The plan is to head up through Kamloops, fishing the lakes, then on up to Prince George and over to the coast at Prince Rupert. I have fished the Skeena and Skeena tribs from Terrace down as well as the Kitimat. Was there in April and September. Would like to go back in July when everything seems to be in the rivers at one time.

From Prince Rupert we will ride the Ferry down to Vancouver Island and fish it north to south and drive home from there. We think we can do this in a month.

While the rivers are awesome, I think the stillwater fishing is also off the hook, if you have a watercraft. I simply wouldn't go to Kamloops or Vancouver Island again without something to get on the lakes.

My experience is as a tourist/fisher, but I love it up in BC and Alberta. I'd fish the Bow again for sure and not miss the area around Fernie, where i have friends.

Good luck...-Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Dominio is on a distinguished road

Ra 40 the picture you posted of the Upper Pitt looks just looks so inviting! I could not help zooming in on the photo and looking for the best place to throw a line might be! cant wait. Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

What time frame are you there? I think i missed that in your previous posts. But if you can get out to campbell river (Van Isl) first week of august, you will catch loads of pink salmon.

If you're there in june/july, better to head north to terrace/skeena system because the runs are earlier. The kitimat river would be choked full of chum and they are serious brutes, easily capable of blowing up 7wt rods.

If you are there outside of salmon runs, you can find some wicked coastal cutthroat fishing in some rivers.

If you're anywhere near fernie, i'd almost skip the salmon and just stay there. Tons of cutties and Big bull trout in that area.