The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Bird's Nest Fly

I read about a pattern being used in California called the Bird's Nest. I did an internet search and found some good images and went to work tying up a few.
So far it has worked on several creeks, and usually on the first or second cast.
An interesting note; this time of year most fishing is being done with small midges and nymphs, but the Bird's nest that I made is a #12 and has been working well.
The originators of this fly were looking for something that could imitate both a nymph and a minnow, calling it a 'strymph'.
It seems to work wither drifted or retrieved.
I'll get a pic up shortly, these seem to be a great addition to the fly box!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird's Nest Fly

Here you go:

California School of Flyfishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA > Fly Patterns > Nymphs > Birds Nest

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Photo of what I tied up. Mine are a bit more 'nesty' than some of the patterns on line.
I've tried the tan/grizzly with both tan and black tungsten beads, with the collar done to match. Both seem to work well so far around Boulder.

PS, you guys are quick! I'm pretty sure that is the site where I got the idea. I have not seen it in use around Colorado, so I thought I would try it out... and it kicks butt for sure. I caught a few browns on one today at a local tailwater.

Last edited by tbblom; 01-08-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: I B 2 slow
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Bird's Nest is a staple in the Northern California fly fisher's fly box. It's one of those "taste like chicken" flies that trout go crazy over since it can represent a lot of food.

One of my fishing buddies fished with Cal Bird back in the day. They used to fish the Bird's Nest as large as size 6. They fished them as stonefly patterns. A size 6, 8, or 10 in an orangish color makes a great October Caddis. A modification that they used to do is replace the wood duck wing/tail with gadwall or teal. That substitution would give the fly a different look.

There are several variations of the Bird's Nest. One was designed by Fly Fishing Specialties co-owner and Montana Fly Company signature tyer, Rick Anderson. It is called the Bird of Prey. The name gives reference to Cal Bird, and the fly kind of looks like a raptor.

This is the wire bodied version called the Crosswire Bird of Prey. This fly has gadwall used as the wing and tail.

Tie plenty Bird's Nests up. Change colors and sizes. Make some with beads and some without. Try using different hooks. Go straight or go curved. Go with a long shank. Go with a short shank. Basically, be creative.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM

mmmmmm..... tastes like chicken! !Gracias para la informacion senor mosca!

Bird's nest has struck gold again in Boulder Creek. Landed a few other 12" browns today out of sleepy little half frozen boulder creek. The best part is that I have not caught any of the small (<8") fish with this fly. It only seems to be attracting the more desirable fish, which is nice. Any day catching a lot of fish on Boulder creek usually means lots of 6-10" fish. A nymph that attracts the bigger fish is very nice to have. No weiner fish today
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi tbblom,

Here are a couple of shots of a Bird's Nest ( Natural / Maple Syrup ) as tied by Cal Bird in March of 1991, that he handed to me fresh out of the vise. Tied on a 1XL Sproat Bend.

Also, I've added a shot of one of his Muddlers which share techinques with the Bird's Nest and another Bird's Nest spin off of his ( the plate with four flies ), all of these were tied by Cal.

Pretty sure a few Nevada guys might want to claim both the Bird's Nest and Cal as their own for a while too.

Best, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 01-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM

I couldn't see the photos, it says I need to be logged in to the other site.

I give huge thanks to the original Bird's Nest inventors (or would if I knew them)! My main reason for pointing out this pattern is that I can't believe that It is not commonly used around here. I looked it up and tied a few for a California Christmas trip, but have had good luck with it in Utah and Colorado since then.
Now would probably be the worst possible time to try out a #12 nymph in Boulder Creek, but it has been working great. Can't wait to try it next spring and summer when the fish are all actively feeding.

PS trout trekker, where are you located? I managed to fish the Merced below Mariposa on Dec.23. Caught 1 beautiful rainbow on a 'belly ache minnow'. Also fished a bit on Carson creek below Kirkwood on Hwy89. I grew up playing in the Merced and Tuolumne rivers on vacations. We drove past the Owens south of Mammoth, but had to keep on driving... I also get up to lake shasta every few years. The Squaw creek drainage has a ton of fish!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
I couldn't see the photos, it says I need to be logged in to the other site.

PS trout trekker, where are you located?

Ya' I goofed with the upload, it should be visible now.

Cal was a really nice man and a patient gifted fly crafter.

The nearest hwy. on ramp to me says, South Lake Tahoe is to the left.

TT
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

If anyone is interested, on vimeo, search for tight line productions and you ll find a great video of tying the birds nest.i'm on my phone otherwise is paste the link. If you have trouble finding pity PM me and I'll send the link tomorrow

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

The Birds nest originated on the Truckee I believe, and still works here.
I prefer it tyed sparsely (like Cal's top fly, maple), and although all the tyes posted were sweet, if tyed in olive and smaller, sz 16-18, it is a great olive clinger Mayfly.
Wish I could have met Cal, hear he was quite the fisherman.
Closest I can come, his grandson serves frosty beverages at GReat Basin Brewery.

Jim