The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough
Default First Day Out

Got off work around 2:30 and it was around 50 degrees today so hit the water. The water was high and stained due to yesterdays rain but I still managed to catch a few small browns. I also broke in my new rod on about the 5th cast. Mossy Creek is known for its monster browns but they were hiding today.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

A light rain shower blew in and this is what I got to look at walking back to the truck.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Day Out

Nice day of fishing except the broken rod
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, congrats on breaking in the new rod. Beautiful place to fish, thanks for sharing.

Dave
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That river sure looks inviting, congrats for getting out and enjoying some fly fishing.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Nice day of fishing except the broken rod
Broke it in, didn't break it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fish View Post
Broke it in, didn't break it.
Good I was wondering how you broke the rod on those smaller browns.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

Nice to see someone else in the area. Mossy creek is a love and hate stream. I have gotten to the point I only fish it during high water when I can chuck big streamers to the pigs that move around when the water gets cloudy. It's amazing to me that how many big fish that creek holds. Sadly they usually see me coming a mile away, and just slip into the nearest undercut bank and wait till I leave.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

So give us a hint! Where's Mossy Creek?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it... I enjoyed the fish pics so much I didn't read closely. As for breaking a rod on small fish, the two rods I've broken were done by ice and a tree... nothing to do with fish.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
So give us a hint! Where's Mossy Creek?

Mossy is in western VA between Staunton and Harrisonburg. Its a limestone creek that flows through open farmland. There is about 2.5 miles that is open to the public with a free permit. There are some real hawg browns in there but in clear water they are a tough catch. As mentioned above the best time to fish it is when the water is high and cloudy and throw big streamers. I'm lucky that I can be anywhere on Mossy withing 5 minutes from my house. BTW it is fly fishing only.