The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Go to winter fly?

Just wondering what everyone's "go to" winter time fly is?

Personally, Zebra Jujubee my self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go to winter fly?

I've got a couple of go-to's for fishing Idaho in the winter, but the one that does best is a "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs:

Click the image to open in full size.

Trailed by one or two of the following:
Improved Shop Vac:
KG's Deep Purple Peril Midge:
Bead-head Brassie:
Zebra Midge:

Kelly.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

In Dec., Jan. & Feb. I spend more time on large, deep, very rocky, clear water lakes than I do on the rivers. Mostly Bow's, Browns, Landlocked Salmon, Some Mack's & Koke's in deeper water with Hi-D heads.

...and if all else fails, chug a bugger.

Thanks, TT
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

For the bigger fish in Boulder Creek and nearby: Bellyache minnow #2-4

For the smaller fish when I get tired of missing the bigger ones:I call it a winter warrior #18, just a Rainbow warrior in dark colors.

Been catching a few medium sized fish on a #12 bird's nest too (upper right version has been working best):

#16 black and olive copper johns have been good too...

See you on the creek hypobaric
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

How is the belly ache tied? What is the body material? Cool looking fly.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Belly Ache Minnow Fly Tying Demo - YouTube

I'm kind of stuck on it...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Mostly tailwaters...midges, with the RS2 being my fav. Los of guys like zebras.

-Mike

Thinking to myself..."Man, I need to learn to throw streamers more...I guess I just have to make myself..." -m
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Last winter-Slumpbuster
This winter-Simi Seal Leach
That will all change since I moved away from the lower waters of the western Sierras ?????
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In area trout streams... yellow stonefly
For the locally stocked Atlantic salmon broodstock, the only fly that I ever use or even carry is the MickyFinn
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Tbblom: Thanks for posting the tying video on the Belly Ache Minnow, that looks like an awesome pattern, I'm going to have to tie a few up and give them a try.