The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Streamer fishing in January?!

Ok, my 6wt zenith is here! Lined up and ready to go!

Now the question, where should I go? I've got the 23-29th off. I'm thinking Cheeseman, Dream Stream or Stage Coach, but I'm not very familiar with the Colorado Tailwaters. I fished a lot of the blue, big T and boulder creek this last year, and am starting off 2012 by broadening my horizons, it's a learning year. I've also thought about the Ark in pueblo, the fork and the Colorado. All insight welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Streamer fishing in January?!

I read that around Pueblo has been good for big browns. Last time I was on the Arkansas during winter it was beautiful and ice free.
I was on the Roaring fork for about 2 hours about a week ago. Fish were active, but I could not get beneath the slush. I hear there is less slush after 11am or so. Lots of big bows in Glenwood, and you could fish the Colorado in the same day.

Not for streamers, but your 6wt would be a blast at the Frying pan tailwater. Get that new rod bent in a big way!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Charlie,

I lived in CO. Springs and have had my sister living there for 23 years. My residency was short but I was there almost every year during the winter - early spring. The Arkansas was a favorite destination for me whether way up or down below Pueblo Dam. Never rule out the little BWO below the dam.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

3 places.

The ark in pueblo. East of pueblo blvd, will get you into some bigger browns and some warmwater species, great to fling a streamer at.

Blue river in Silverthorne, 3:00 PM - Midnight. Plenty of light around town and some big browns in there will chase your streamers all night long.

Frying Pan, again, fish 6:30 am - 8:00 and 3:00 - Dusk, toilet bowl and the flats. LOTS of browns that get very active around sunrise and sunset.

Since you will probably want to fish all day anyways, bring along an assortment of nymphs and midges too. A 6 wt is a great stick to handle the bigger fish of the Blue and the Pan. It'll also do fine down in Pueblo.

Don't think if a 6 wt as a streamer only rod...it's a very versatile rod with more backbone to handle bigger fish and heavier flies, but you can nymph just fine with it as well. I prefer a lighter rod with a very soft action for dries, but it's getting later and colder into the winter season and you won't see a lot of dry action anymore anyways.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask! I just got back from the pan so there's lots of details in there right now that is current.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-24-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Removed the section asking the reader to check out his blog!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough

Ard, thanks for the tip. Looks like I might be heading your direction in Sept. I'll let you know more details as they work out.

Vitesse, thanks a ton, I'll be following your blog. Thinking about the blue tomorrow and dream stream Thursday.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

We will have to talk again, send a PM and we'll set a time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Vitesse, when you speak of a black poison tongue, are you tying the PT with black wire rib as in crave a book or are you tying a normal black midge with a blue rib?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

black poison tung and the deep blue poison tung are tied differently. Even though they have "similar" names.

Black poison tung is a wire wrap, secured at the top by thread and then a dubbed collar and whip finished behind the bead. No thread under the wire wrap.

Deep blue poison tung is where the blue wire is tied in and then wrapped forward to to create segementation, then dubbed, and whip finished behind the bead. Blue wire on gray thread.

Keep the dubbing collar small, these are supposed to imitate midges, and not buggy mayfly nymphs.

Basically, I follow craven's recipe. But I do change up colors and I have a few that work very well!

I'm headed to Steamboat on Wednesday. When will you be around the Blue? I can stop by and catch a fish or two!