The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question for you trout oficianados

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyfishguide View Post
Bull trout and dolly varden are both in the char family and are extremely similar, they both are late summer/fall spawners. Bull trout are indigenous to BC, ID, MT WA mostly...
Quite a few Bull trout waters in OR as well.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
german browns are also in the Char family but differ immensely from bulls/dollies
I wouldnt put it that way
Trout is a wide definition that covers many species from Salmonidae family.Naturally all salmonidae species belongs to northern hemisphere and all of them have same ancestor that lives millions years ago, salmo esmeralda .Salmo esmeralda that lived in North Atlantic ocean divided in two ways,Euroasia and North American way,plus it split on salmons and trouts ...So we now have Euroasian and North American trouts divisions and that is main bisection when we speak about trouts.

Atlantic salmon is much closer relative to brown trout than char,because ancestor of char and ancestor of salmon are like first relatives and brown trout developed from salmon.........
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

I've heard that Atlantic salmon look like browns when they spawn, I would like to see/catch one someday. In Ak North of Talkeetnah, we caught pinks, sockeye, chinook, chum, and coho's in the same day. The kings were pretty wore out, the pinks were fresh, sockeyes had green heads/ red bodies, the chums were brilliant with their stripes and markings, and there were only a couple of silvers starting to trickle into the trib and they were bright and hot. That was 20 years ago and I didn't really know a lot about pacific salmon, still don't but they are amazing creatures. I would like to know more about the brown trout/ atlantic salmon similarities.
Thanks for the advice and info.
We caught a brook/bull hybrid according to fwp. It was about 22 inches, had brook trout worming marks on its back and no spots on its dorsal, pink spots, and a big bull trout head. Have you heard of this crossbreed?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
. I would like to know more about the brown trout/ atlantic salmon similarities.
Well,I cant tell you much about that because we dont have salmon or sea trout in Mediterranean sea except that those two species are very much alike.
Sea trout and brown trout do have same Latin name(salmo truta) and that means they are genetically the same stuff,even if they have quite different behavior and morphological characteristics.
I can tell somehow , it is big task for me even on my own language not the mention to say all of that in English,what was happening in that ancient times if you find that interesting .When that first of salmons lived ,ocean was not salty as it is today and that fish probably spawned at shores.Oceans becomes salty and salty and that salmon head up rivers for spawn.That is how it becomes anadromus .Some of those that com to rivers stayed there.Being fish with massive genetic potential and opportunist on everything that Nature have to offer that ancient salmon split on atlantic salmon and sea trout.From sea trout we get browns...That is story if I remember correct what my buddy, ph.D ichthyologist ,once told me
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Just a little update for you guys. I went back to bass pro today (damn place cost me 50 bucks in tying supplies ) and went over to the trout pond and low and behold the males have dug up nests and are circling them and fighting intruders off. Also as of note Bass Pro had two of their female trout die recently I'm thinking that the trout did indeed spawn.