The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Question for you trout oficianados

I was at bass pro today (the one in grapevine Texas) I was bored so I wandered over to the trout pool. When I got there I noticed that the few bull trout in the pond had grown darker and developed something akin to a kype. My question is, do bull browns develop kypes and could they be about to spawn in the small pool? As evident by this post I don't know a whole lot about trout reproduction so... Thank you for your time!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Question for you trout oficianados

Hi,

Good question and I'll tell you what I know based on my own observations.

Regardless of where they are kept a trout will ripen and attempt to reproduce. This would include the hen fish as well. The curiosity here is timing, the ripening of reproductive organs is associated with changes in the Nocturnal / diurnal time spans. Brown trout are generally fall spawner's. Considering your latitude and the fact that they have artificial lighting messing with the glandular control of hormonal secretions relative to spawning behavior, they are in all likelihood entering into spawning mode at this time.

I have witnessed rainbow trout fully mature sexually that spawn in late October. This is a species that predominantly reproduces in April - May depending on the latitude. So.................Yes, when it comes to species and sub specie strains of trout, all bets are off as to when any given group may enter into the reproductive stage and they will do so in captivity if not suffering adverse stress.

Hope that helps paint a picture a little,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

If it makes you feel better the two bull rainbows I have in my aquarium have tried to spawn with each other a time or two.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting topic. What happens to these seasonal spawning patterns when these species are introduced in the southern hemisphere? Are there any trout or salmon native below the equator? milt. (DR- There are "Bull Trout", a char species, and bull trout, males of a species. BPS probably doesn't have char in their store.)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
...bull trout, males of a species...)
I've always heard male trout called "bucks." The only fish that I have called a "bull" is a large Red Drum.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Really the guys who go fish the broken bow use the term bull to describe male trout but yes I was describing a male trout. Sounds like the two males need a fishy female friend. I would be curious to see your tank setup.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Interesting topic. What happens to these seasonal spawning patterns when these species are introduced in the southern hemisphere? Are there any trout or salmon native below the equator? milt. (DR- There are "Bull Trout", a char species, and bull trout, males of a species. BPS probably doesn't have char in their store.)
Yes, I'm not sure how many countries but trout and salmon are a naturally reproducing introduced species in Chilean & Argentinian Rivers. Most noteably in the Tierra del Feugo reigon. Then there are the trout and salmons over in New Zeland also.

I was starting into a dissertation about the affect of light & darkness on the whole reproductive process but held up short. It is those 2 things that influence the timing for the spawning. The debate is ongoing as to whether it is the hours of light or the hours of darkness that has the primary factor but saying daylight sounds better so I'll go with that. When you consider the relative hours of day light before and after the December equinox there are days & weeks that are identical in length. Take the thought process further and you begin to see the marvle of the natural order. Spring and fall spawners, the timing of salmon, steelhead, and sea run trout & char runs. All of these fish share in many cases the same watersheds and spawning grounds. All are finely tunned so that the breeding periods interlock like the teeth of a zipper as it closes. Quite amazing but still a simple marvel at its base, sunlight.

Of course there is much more to be said and people who are better schooled than I to say it but that synopsis will do for a layman eh.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Here in the PacNW males are called bucks. Calling them bulls would cause a lot of confusion since there is a destinct fish species called Bull trout here.

Sorry to distract from the main point of your post.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Are there any trout or salmon native below the equator? milt.
No,salmonides are native only for Northern hemisphere
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Bull trout and dolly varden are both in the char family and are extremely similar, they both are late summer/fall spawners. Bull trout are indigenous to BC, ID, MT WA mostly and are in may cases landlock but don't go into saltwater. Dollies are in the same region, they live from CA to AK, they do go into the sea and return to freshwater. Bulls will develop a kipe jaw when the reach maturity, but it doesn't seem to be pronounced like a brown's jaw in males.
I think bull trout get larger than dollies, I've caught them here in Missoula up to 38 inches 15 lbs or so. They are carnivorous and we have them eat trout that we are trying to land often.
If you ask a fisheries biologist the difference between bulls and dollys some will tell you bulls have one more gill plate. They look darker to me and seem to have more mass. In the Elk, BC they get bright red when they spawn and are beautiful.
german browns are also in the Char family but differ immensely from bulls/dollies