The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road

I grabbed a 5wt redingon set up on my way to the sierras last summer for my wife, and I was super impressed with it. Turned out to be much better than the gear I had before (about ten years old). Some things really have gotten to be a better value. I can't remember what I payed for it but I believe it was like $150-200. It's a nice smooth rod which really helped my miserable casting.

Quick edit, I believe it was the cross water, but I can check and make sure.
ghost_reaper likes this.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cali member getting into fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish4 View Post
I grabbed a 5wt redingon set up on my way to the sierras last summer for my wife, and I was super impressed with it. Turned out to be much better than the gear I had before (about ten years old). Some things really have gotten to be a better value. I can't remember what I payed for it but I believe it was like $150-200. It's a nice smooth rod which really helped my miserable casting.

Quick edit, I believe it was the cross water, but I can check and make sure.
This is a great set up. I have the 5WT, 4 piece as well. I am a big fishing enthusiast and I came into fly fishing being a hard core Musky/Bass fisherman and I think some people are crazy on what they spend on fishing gear.

I understand quality gear but when I can buy a Redington Fly rod with life warranty which at least the three I own are Sage blanks for under $200 a piece verses a nice Sage Rod for $500 plus. But then again I have a lot of hobbies and I cannot devote all my funds to one spot.

My 2 cents
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Ghost, which of the Redington rods uses a Sage blank? I thought they developed their own blanks. thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Well Redington is part of Sage, so Im sure some of the technology is present in all the rods.

Welcome to the forum, after having 3 of them, i would not recommend the Cabela's Three Forks rods. I had one when I was 16 and then in later years I had others. They will work for casting and catching fish, but you can get MUCH nicer rods not awhole lot more money. I would easily pick the Redington over the Three Forks. if you go alittle higher in price, the St Croix legend rods, they are about 150 but I have a 7' 3wt and its a fantastic rod.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM

socalfly is on a distinguished road

Which Redington rods do you guys have? Probably gonna order this weekend.

I'm looking at the Redington Crosswater 7'6" 4wt. Do you guys think 7'6" will be suitable for most creeks and rivers out here?

I've cast a 7 footer on the Deschutes River last summer for about an hour total (my first and only time fly fishing so far) and I caught several bows on a dry fly. My casting was pretty good according to my cousin.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Do you know if St Croix sells that 7' 3wt as a blank? and is that a 4 piece rod? I'm looking to build a short rod that I can throw into a backpack or into my carry on luggage. Planning on using it on small streams. Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfly View Post

I'm looking at the Redington Crosswater 7'6" 4wt. Do you guys think 7'6" will be suitable for most creeks and rivers out here?

I've cast a 7 footer on the Deschutes River last summer for about an hour total (my first and only time fly fishing so far) and I caught several bows on a dry fly. My casting was pretty good according to my cousin.
I have the Redington Crosswater 7'6" 4wt and really like it for small streams. I'm very impressed with the quality. Had a blast C&Ring some small brook trout on a deadwater last spring.

John
Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 PM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfly View Post

I looked at mine on the way out the door this morning and it was the "pursuit" model, i am sure they are not terribly different. I am AMAZED at how good cheap 4 piece rods can be now. Seems like the last time I bought a rod, you had to spend 400+ on the rod to get something decent in 4 piece. Technology rocks.

I bet you will be happy with any of the redington's they are a good piece of gear, and really helped my casting. I appreciate the 9' too, I had fished with a 8' up untill then and it makes a difference particularly when you are roll casting nymphs. Im not saying you can't roll a nymph out just as far with an 8' but it is just easier to lift the line up and get it out there with the 9'.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Reddington RedFly 7wt 9'6"
Got it 50% off for like $75.
Turns out to be really nice for shooting heavy streamers and indicator rigs on a 6wtWFF line. It also throws a 6wt sink tip line very well.
So far I caught a 24" brown and a 20" bow on it, the fights were quick and intense, but the leverage prevailed. It is a bit heavy, but I am rough on my gear, so that is a plus for me.
I had no idea that reddington was part of sage. Glad to hear though!
I think this will become my favorite pontoon rod at 9'6".