The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM

socalfly is on a distinguished road
Cool Cali member getting into fly fishing.

Hey, 16 years old and have been fishing for most of my life. Mostly just standard freshwater spin fishing. (plastic worms, mini jigs, spinners, etc)

I've been fascinated by fly fishing for a while now and would like to give it a try. I live just outside of LA in California so the closest fishing (as far as streams/rivers go) would be in the San Gabriels like Big Rock Creek, San Gab. River, Tujunga, etc.

The Eastern Sierras are what I really love though, kinda far away but it's not hard to make a long weekend trip out of it.

Anyway, just curious if you guys have any advice for an affordable setup for Cali and any tips in general.

I'm thinking a medium action 4wt will be a good all arounder for out here? Currently looking into the Cabela's Three Forks combo or the Redington Crosswater combo. Still have lots to read up on and videos to watch.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: I have a G. Loomis GL2 that I was thinking about selling but I want a cheaper/beginner fly setup anyway and I figure it's always good to have a spin pole for lakes/back up.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Cali member getting into fly fishing.

welcome to the forum socal. I am also 16 but i live in south florida. Are you only looking to catch trout or are you looking to catch bass trout and other things?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Hey Socal...sent you some info in a PM.

I think 4 wt is a great choice for the waters you'll fish. Not too heavy for the locals and just heavy enough for most everything on the e side.

Have fun

-Mike
Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
welcome to the forum socal. I am also 16 but i live in south florida. Are you only looking to catch trout or are you looking to catch bass trout and other things?
Just trout really, there's a decent bit of bass water around but I don't know how effective/fun it would be to target em on the fly.

What kinda fishing do you do down in Florida? Bass and saltwater? You guys got those massive tarpons eh?

@mikel, cheers man. Got the PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a local resource, give Ken and the guys at Fishermen's Spot, Van Nuys, a shout. They are good people who are always willing to help newbies.

How fun are bass in SoCal? Fly fishing for bass is more effective than some think.

Dennis
Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Socalfly....great to have a little "young blood" here
One of my colleagues wanted to learn flyfishing so I took him on the water a few times....after three outings he decided to buy a Crosswater combo for xmas.. I've used it several times for we often swap rods while fishing...looks like it's a very good deal
Old 01-24-2012, 02:37 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

nothing is more effective for bass than a baby bass colored clouser
Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Welcome SoCal. You've probably already been there, but if not, Bob Marriott's in Fullerton is a great fly shop. They have great educational seminars on weekends; have one coming up on fishing local So Cal waters. They also have a great selection of fly rods, reels and fly tying supplies. The sales folks are really helpful and are a great source of information.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Cheers guys.

@Mosca, awesome video. Seems really fun fly fishing for bass, I've been to Casitas before, nice lake and I've always wanted to fish it. I'll check out Fisherman's Spot.

@auntrout, Fullerton is a bit out of the way but I'll look into those seminars.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

How did I miss saying Hi,

Hi,

Ard
socalfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;