The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default A law that needs to be changed?

Not sure about this, but it seems there is a species of heron that is very common and not endangered. Anyone know anything about this? The link below tells the story. The feathers from this heron are being sold for spey hackle all over the world except the U.S. We apparently have a law forbidding the importation of any heron feathers, endangered or not.
Anyway, here is the link. It also has pics of lots of spey flies for you guys.

Fly tying Heron Feathers For Spey Flies
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: A law that needs to be changed?

There's no reason to change a law that protects all migratory birds just so fly tiers can have yet another material
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: A law that needs to be changed?

Riptide has said all that is necessary in reply to this topic.

I vote for the Moderator to close this thread and delete this post.

-Dan
Old 01-25-2012, 11:42 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Good point. But there are folks who have licenses who raise and sell many types of migratory birds in this country. Game Bird Gazette lists everything from Trumpeter swans to Canvasback ducks for sale. Seems like someone could begin raising herons for their feathers.
Are there any entrepreneurial fly tiers out there?
Anyway, Game Bird Gazette might be a good source of hard to find feathers.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
There's no reason to change a law that protects all migratory birds just so fly tiers can have yet another material
I have to agree. Particularly when there are legal substitutes available. In the link you posted, that seller says that heron is a better material, but that's an opinion. I see no reason to change a law simply based on opinions about what is or isn't a better fly tying material.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

And this has exactly what to do with coldwater fly fishing???
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I believe because the material in question is used for tying spey flies?

Just my guess!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I believe because the material in question is used for tying spey flies?

Just my guess!

Hhahahaha yea but then should it not have gone in the Spey section. Seriously the only thing going on in there right now is my lame report from Saturday. I say lame because I only caught a skunk. I haven't posted a report in a while here so I figured I should put something up.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm a lifelong bird hunter, but even if it was legal, I can't imagine shooting a heron. For any reason, but least of all, just for its feathers.
Gary
Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Wouldn't shoot one myself but the law doesn't even allow using a dead/roadkill bird's feathers and I've left a couple now that could have been put to good use including a Great Blue Heron.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread