The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Where to fish artic Char in Canada ??

I must retract my earlier comment regarding the question of whether these are Arctic Char or not. Several things led to my first remarks; I did not know where (Latitude & Longitude) Nunavut Canada was really located and I had not bothered to consult my research book on Char distributions in North America.

After a bit of reading from 'Trout' by Judith Stolz & Judith Schnell, who produced a compilation of research for the book I must say that the fish are Arctic Char.

If you would like to own a very comprehensive work on every species of trout & char we are host to here on this continent, find yourself a copy of Trout, it is from The Wildlife Series published by Stackpole books in 1991. The book will provide detailed information about fish that you may otherwise never even hear of.

Nick, my apologies for the transgression,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 AM

variant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to fish artic Char in Canada ??

First, I want to correct myself. I've never seen a bright red arctic char. More of an orange. It was the author of a more recent book on salmonids that called foul on the record char. But I can't remember the title, and for all I know "Trout" may be the real authority. I'm certainly not one. Does it dispute what I found here?

Dolly Varden Species Profile, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

I haven't caught them in Alaska, but that matches what I thought.