The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Where to fish artic Char in Canada ??

Hi !!

I plan a fishing trip for next year to fish big chars in Canada. I was looking for Labradore at diffrents Lodges, but the price is very hight (more than $4000 a week).

I saw Lodges in Northen T. Yukon and Nunavut, and it's the same (never less than $5000). Any of you have experiences of this places? any economic solution ? or cheaper Lodges with good fishing ?

Thanx !!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 AM

hopman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to fish artic Char in Canada ??

Go to Labrador I think it's called flowers not sure of price and could be in Newfoundland. I saw shows of it and your gonna be getting your money's worth.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ben,encore un voyage en vue tu as gagné au loto ou quoi?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

I'm a fly fishing guide on the Tree River, Nunavut. If you want to catch char, look no further than the Tree. It's seriously world class and the scenery will blow your mind!

Photos from 2 weeks ago from the Tree.
Click the image to open in full size.

Nick
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Waoou Nick such a big beautiful fish !!

JP: No I don't play at the "Loto" lol I just want informations on places, and see what can be possible for me next year !

Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Those are awesome pics and even more beautiful fish. A fish that rivals brook trout in the most beautiful fish, IMO of course!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

The Tree River char in the fall are mind-blowing. They look like bright red ferrari's. Picture a brook trout on steroids that can reach upwards of 30lbs in the Tree. They're like no other fish I've guided and fished for.

Nick
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM

variant is on a distinguished road

I'll probably catch some heat for this, from Nick and others, but those photos are of a Dolly Varden. Arctic Char have a much slimmer caudal peduncle (wrist), and a slightly forked caudal (tail) fin. The colors are different too; those bright red ferrari's are actually a different species. You might recall the short-lived world record Arctic Char, recently, that was actually a Dolly. Dolly Varden are a very widespread species, and are commonly mistaken for other members of the genus Salvelinus, primarily Bull Trout and Arctic Char, depending on the drainages in which they co-exist.

Thanks for the pics, though. It was nice to see the waterfall; I haven't been back there for too long. Not that I've fished them all, but the Tree River is widely considered the best Arctic Char (and Dolly Varden) fishery in the world.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I was thinking along the line of what variant just posted. However, my knowledge of the two species is limited because I am not far enough north to find Arctic Char. I was looking at the tell tail green noticeable on the flanks just behind the gills and the backs of the fish. Our Dollies become quite colorful here by late september but not quite as much red. Like many species of trout & char the chemistry of the watersheds have a great influence on the pigmentation of the individuals living in them.

None the less I would love to catch a char like those pictured. I keep it simple by calling the Dollies char and don't differentiate specifics.

Nice char,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

Wikipedia calls the Tree River fish Artic Char as does Plummer's Lodge and other references I Googled so what are these fish?
Anyway, do they eat dries?