The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

doogiexiv is on a distinguished road
Default beginner questions, please help

I live in western mass and have been fly fishing here for about a year. I usually fish rivers (green river and the deerfield river) and on ocasoion lakes. I have really gotten into it in the last month, i've boutght a new rod and new equipment. I am still however quite clueless to most things in the world of fly fishing. I can't seem to find someone to teach me. I was jsut wondering if any one could answer me some question.

-Since i like catching trout what kind of dry and wet flies are best during which months?

-What should i look for when walking up a river to catch fish?

-I have a 5 wt. rod should i be usuing 4x or 5x leaders and which leaders are better braided or redgular knottless?

-How do i know what size tippet to use, is it bases off the fly or the leader that is on the rod?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: beginner questions, please help

doogie... I wrote most of this section at wikepedia, hopefully it will get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_fis...hing_for_Trout

Fish below or to the side of tumbling water in areas with obstructions such as large rocks, logs or pools. Put your dry fly right in behind the obstruction in the dead water and watch it slowly drift back to you or put it off the current under bushes and undercut in the slower moving water. Look to put the fly at the edge between the current and holding water. So the combination is aerated water, tumbling water bringing food, slow water at the edge where the fish can hold while not expending any energy, and possibly cover such as undercuts and large rocks to hide from birds.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM

doogiexiv is on a distinguished road

thanks mucho
Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 AM

Guy M is on a distinguished road

doogie - at a year into it looks like you're largely self-taught. That's fine, I needed a few solo sessions on the river to get the hang of it myself, and I did/do a fair amount of reading about fly fishing too. The best though were those times when a good fly fisher would spend a little time with me, showing me how it's done. Since then I've taken a lot of pleasure in bringing along a new fisherman.

Is there a fly club in your area? Great source of info as well as ready-made fishing buddies.

Regards, Guy
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi doogiexiv,

If you want to really shorten your learning curve hire a guide for a day. Tell the guide you are more interested in learning techniques than catching fish. Some guides are the best teachers ever and you will learn a lot in one trip. This is especially advantages when you fish a new river. The guide will know what techniques work best on that water. Then just ask questions about everything he does. It will cost you $300 but it will be well worth it. A guide will help with casting, knots, flies and how to read the water. Give it a try you will like it.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I was gonna throw the guide idea out there, but Frank's really the early bird getting the worm in this case
PHP Code:
Today03:22 AM 
If you can find a guide that knows the waters where you fish, and tell him that you want your money to pay for casting/fishing instruction, and great spots to fish in the area, your guide cost could be a GREAT investment in your future fishing success and enjoyment. Better yet, learn casting from a local club, and just focus on spots with the guide.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM

fez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiexiv View Post
-Since i like catching trout what kind of dry and wet flies are best during which months?
got a local fly shop? or one local to your rivers? go ask them, buy some flies, leaders, whatever and pick their brains. most will point you in the right direction. the guide idea is also a good one. if you can afford it, hiring a guide is a great idea. see if any local shops have good online fishing conditions and check those frequently.

Quote:
move slow, look around, be observant. dont just go crashing around. the biggest mistake a new fisherman can make is to just blindly walk into a pool without watching it for a few minutes first. there may be fish feeding, but they wont know becasue they just put the pool down.

if you are just putting down distance, keep to trails so you wont disturb any redds.

Quote:
-I have a 5 wt. rod should i be usuing 4x or 5x leaders and which leaders are better braided or redgular knottless?
leader weight will be determined by the flies you are fishing, and the fish you are fishing to not rod weight. for instance, if you are hauling streamers deep, you would probably want a bigger (0x - 2x) short (5 - 7.5 ft) leader. if you are fishing tiny dries to spooky fish, you may need 7x - 8x as long as 12 ft. in general if you are concerned about delicate presentaion, say a mayfly lighting gently on the water, long and thin. if instead you are fishing a salmonfly or hopper, shorter and thicker. these flies tend to crash land on the water, so you want to imitate that.

i was fishing a stream earlier this summer, there were spruce moths all around. i tied a sz 10 tan elk hair caddis on to imitate the spruce moths. i think i was using 2x leader. and it was effective! i was catching a nice cutthroat on almost every cast and got a couple large grayling. spruce moths are not graceful fliers and tend to crash land. i was slapping them down and skating the fly.

the guy down the creek from me was getting skunked. he asked me 'are you using 7x?'. i got quite a laugh at the look on his face when i told him, 'no, i ran out of 1x tippet so im using 2x now.' the main difference was i was in a better spot, but still gave me a laugh.

Quote:
-How do i know what size tippet to use, is it bases off the fly or the leader that is on the rod?
the tippet should be the same as the leader you are using. if you have a 5x leader, use 5x tippet. exceptions i tend to make is for droppers. say if i have a streamer tied on a 2x leader, i may use a 4x or 5x leader on a dropper nymph.

Quote:
Thanks
you're welcome.

where are you in western mass? i grew up in stockbridge and went to UMass for college (the first time).