The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

I seldom open video clips here but I watched this one. Nostalgia, I love salmon fishing. One thing I noticed, when they showed him tying flies I realized how old the bobbin I use tying flies is. I inherited it but never saw another until seeing this film. Cool, good post!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing, I miss that older generation of fishing shows. Very cool indeed.

Dave
Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Click the image to open in full size.

A page from the log book of the Whale River Salmon Camp in northern Quebec, where I spent a week last summer.
wannafish and theboz like this.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

That is pretty darn amazing! If I'm reading that right he caught 28 salmon in one day!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I seldom open video clips here but I watched this one. Nostalgia, I love salmon fishing. One thing I noticed, when they showed him tying flies I realized how old the bobbin I use tying flies is. I inherited it but never saw another until seeing this film. Cool, good post!
When I got my first fly tying kit as a kid, 45 years ago, it had a bobbin like that in it. I don't know what happened to it, but I don't have it any more.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
That is pretty darn amazing! If I'm reading that right he caught 28 salmon in one day!
No the names of the fishermen are in the second column. Looks like he caught 6 that day. Looks like the guy Levy whose entries appear a little below Ted's (and a little above Ted's comment) caught a dozen, though!

The week I was there, 5 rods in 6 1/2 days hooked over 120 and landed something like 90. My best week ever fishing for Atlantics.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice video, Ted was a true "sportsman", though I remember my dad telling stories as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Thank you for sharing, I miss that older generation of fishing shows. Very cool indeed.

Dave
Dave, I also like the older videos. Maybe what I miss in current fishing shows is the old school stuff, and that's why I don't like a lot of the new stuff on the air (hmm, maybe this video and the instructional videos with Gary Borger on Youtube could be an example of the kind of fishing shows we are missing these days for the gent trying to put together a new one.....

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM

terster is on a distinguished road

I'm in this book. My father took me here back in 1981, 82 and 83. My brother followed in 84 and 85 and I think it was in 85 that they spent a week with Ted Williams. It's now 20 years later and I look to go back to re-live memories and i'm having a hard time finding the lodge. There are many memories at that old camp.

If anyone has any information about this camp, please send me a message. I know that Stan, Dora and his son's ran the place way back when... but again, I fell out of touch, something I regret now. So please send me a message if you have any info on this lodge.

Ironically enough, i'm having a hard time finding it on the map too. I know we would fly into Schefferville and then bush plane about an hour to the river, and one time we flew out of Fort Chimo. So I know it's in-between.

I appreciate it.

Terster
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Whale River Outfitters: Home - Whale River Outfitters

I used to live just down the road from Stan and Dora. Spent some great times with him at the bar of Candlelight Cottage (gone now) in Parish, NY, listening to stories. I didn't fish for atlantics yet at that time...had I known!!!

Now I'm afraid the Whale River is above my pay grade, sadly.
Gary
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Sadly, Stan passed away a few years ago. He was quite a remarkable guy. He served in the original Ranger battalion in WWII and told some pretty amazing stories about their exploits in North Africa and Italy, like sneaking into Rommel's camp at night and out again without getting caught. After the war he explored northern Canada looking for fishing and hunting sites, much like Lee Wulff. The Whale River camp location was his own discovery. His son Mike runs the camp now.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Yup, those were pretty much the kind of stories he told me. I used to bird hunt right across the road from his house quite often and we'd chat.

A fellow in Camden, NY (maybe 15 miles from Stan's home) was looking into "virgin" brook trout or char fishing in the area around the camp. Wonder if anything ever became of that?
Gary

Oh, and back to Ted Williams...my good friend Vin Swayze, who has guided on the Miramichi for more than 60 years, has gobs of Ted Williams stories. Ted's place was just a ways downriver from Vin's. He has a batch of flies Ted tied, and lots of good photos.

There's also some Ted footage in the CD that Ted Rogowski did on the Miramichi (Memories of the Miramichi) a couple years ago. Along with Lee Wulff, Ed Zern and Charlie DeFeo. oh, lol, and me, too!!!