The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/233079-ted-williams-atlantic-salmon.html)

wannafish 01-28-2012 08:48 AM

Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

Rip Tide mentioned in a post that Ted Williams was one of his flyfishing heroes and it reminded me of this great video of him on the Miramichi I believe in the '60s. It gives a glimpse into the past for some newer people and fond memories for others. You'll see that the C&R message was relatively new and Ted was a pioneer of sorts. Enjoy!

Rip Tide 01-28-2012 09:57 AM

Re: Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

Thanks for posting that. Mr Williams truely was one of my heros
He wasn't the nicest man however and there's a lot of stories.
One of my favorites was from Jack Gartside.
Apparently a young Jack waited to meet Williams at Fenway and afterwards went home to brag to his friends;

"Ted Williams spoke to me"
His friends wanted to know, "Well, what did he say?"
"He said, 'Get out of my way, kid'" :D

swirlchaser 01-28-2012 09:58 AM

Great video, our gear may have changed but the passion is the same. One question, he seems to be casting downstream not upstream and working a drift:confused:. Is it just his preference?

fyshstykr 01-28-2012 12:05 PM

WOW! The Great Ted Williams.:)
That was fun to watch, Thanks for posting.

wannafish 01-28-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swirlchaser (Post 386940)
Great video, our gear may have changed but the passion is the same. One question, he seems to be casting downstream not upstream and working a drift:confused:. Is it just his preference?

90% of the salmon fishing here is done that way; fishing wet flies down and across. In lower water or for finding fish a bomber or other dry fly will be used casting upstream and dead drifted. The down and accross method is easier if you're fishing all day; the current swings the fly for you and even sets the hook if your mind is wandering when mr. salmon finally grabs :)

Rip Tide, that's interesting to know of Mr. Williams surly side and a great story to illustrate it :D

Rip Tide 01-28-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannafish (Post 386976)
Rip Tide, that's interesting to know of Mr. Williams surly side and a great story to illustrate it :D

Another that comes to mind...
When asked by the press what he thought about Carl Yastrzemski, his replacement in the Red Sox lineup, Mr Williams replied;
Quote:

I've only got one thing to say about Yaz. Yaz fishes with worms :eek:

jimw 01-29-2012 06:22 AM

That was awesome, thanks for posting. I had several flash backs watching.

swirlchaser 01-29-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannafish (Post 386976)
90% of the salmon fishing here is done that way; fishing wet flies down and across. In lower water or for finding fish a bomber or other dry fly will be used casting upstream and dead drifted. The down and accross method is easier if you're fishing all day; the current swings the fly for you and even sets the hook if your mind is wandering when mr. salmon finally grabs :)

Thanks Wannafish, Every time I log on I learn something:thumbsupu

theboz 01-30-2012 08:46 PM

Great video of the Splendid Splinter. I had the privilege to speak to him for a few minutes in the Bahamas back in the 70s. He was getting off of Bonefish Folleys boat as I was getting ready to go out. Contrary to all I had heard about his demeanor he was pretty friendly. I asked him how the action was and he said it was real good and to listen to old man Folley because he was a terrific guide . We compared equipment and flys and he was on his way wishing me good fishing as he departed.
What a day. Met Ted Williams, fished with one of the top guides in the Bahamas and got a bunch of Bones to boot.

sumojo 02-02-2012 03:42 PM

Nice video was really great to watch .