The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By possessed
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Winter Browns

I headed up to the hills today to fish one of my favorite brown streams. The weather has been in the 60's all week, but I was still a bit concerned about how the stream would fish. I have always fished this stream in the fall and have never tried it in the winter.

The fishing started out very slow. I had a brown follow my nymph on my first cast of the day, but that would be the only fish I would see for a while. I did have a pretty good strike a few minutes later, but that was about it. I kept switching back and forth from a double nymph to a dry/dropper. Finally, I decided to just fish a dry/dropper.

After an hour or so of no action, I was starting to lose a bit of focus on my fishing. I would watch my dry drift for a second or two, then scan the woods for bears and Bigfoot, then look back at the dry for another second or so. After scanning the woods, I looked back to see no dry, I set the hook and the fish came unhooked almost immediately. A cast or two later, same thing happened. I was a bit frustrated at myself.

I moved on up to the next run, which was almost identical to the one where I had just lost two fish. I decided I should pay a bit more attention and I actually caught a fish this time. I was happy, I was starting to think I might get skunked for the first time in more than a year.

Click the image to open in full size.

I kept fishing. I was all fired up, thinking things were picking up. Well, I was soon scanning the woods for bears and Bigfoot again. There was no action for quite a while.

I came upon this deep and turbulent hole. I dapped my flies in and my dry quickly went under. This brown swam around the hole for a bit, then rode the small waterfall down to the next hole, tangled himself up in a big stick, after I got him out of the stick, he was all over the place, back and forth, up and down, and under the rocks. Finally, I netted him. I was happy to see he was decent size, especially for this small stream. I will say I was a bit surprised, I thought he was bigger based on the fight he gave.

A few minutes later, I nailed a small brown on the dry but he refused to have his picture taken. I had several other strikes on the dry then this little guy inhaled my nymph, ending the day.

All and all, not a bad day, especially considering it's February. I will be very glad when Spring gets here.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Browns

Great post and pics, thank you for sharing as it has been high water generation here for the last 3 months and it helps the nerves just seeing a freshly caught trout.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was so cool! You jogged memories of my old haunts in the mountains of North Central PA. with the story of the second fish. When they leave a pool like that they are just like a giant salmon when you put everything into perspective. The size of the stream, the size of the fish, and then the dramatic run down river! Outstanding! I miss those days, there are some exciting days when I am on the waters here but your experiences in those mountains is every bit as exciting and challenging.

I love finding your posts,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Ard, you are right! I look at those beautiful pics and it looks like my "back yard" here in the south/central PA Appalacians. It always amazes me how similar different areas of the country can look. My trickles are full of Brookies, not browns.....but those browns are beautiful.

I must say though, the small streams in my neck of the woods don't look like that at the moment! PA winters are a bit different than NC! Although as far as winters go, this one has been pretty nice so far!

Thanks for a great report, Possessed!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

It was quite slow on the chattooga as well over the weekend. the fishing didn't turn on until after 1 and lasted only till about 4. I thought that with the warmer weather it would be better. I did catch fish but I was really working for every one of them.

Great fishing report and lovely pictures and stream.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Nice fish. All these winter pics are making me want to get out for a day...maybe this weekend.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Come on up to Buffalo, Eunan, we'll get out there and fish for some winter browns
lthrnk03 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough

Ah yes, it reminds me of the little streams and brookies of PA, a massive fish in the smaller creeks of the Appalachia mts of northcentral/eastern PA is 8 inches but the smaller 4-5inchers put up such a fight! Can't wait to fish those this summer again, unfortunately there was a massive flood this past September and it radically altered stream beds, I have not had a chance to fish any of them yet but hopefully the brookies will be fine.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Those are some beautiful fish, I have a special spot in my heart for browns (first fish caught on a fly rod).
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Very fine outing my friend!