The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Post Weekend on the Cranberry

Hey there everybody. Its been a week since Ive been but I thought Id share some of the fun I had on the Cranberry river here in WV.
Normally when we go with my parents we have a fairly large cart that we can throw everything on it and haul it in. Many hands make the work light.
But........the wife and I couldn't come till Friday evening so we had to pack everything in on bikes. We camped about 1.5 mi in the lower gate. (For those out there that dont know, the Cranberry Backcountry is gated and restricted to walking, biking, or horses.) On the way in trout were topping the water occasionally which I was hoping was a good sign.
Got to camp that evening and got the tent set up and got my rod set up for the next morning.
When morning came we biked about three miles farther up the river and worked our back down. I couldnt tell any hatch coming off at the time, but I thought Id try something so I tied on a BWO #20. First cast to a little riffle around a boulder brought a fingerling native brookie back to me. As well as my third and sixth. I was really excited at this point.
About an hour later I landed a 14" native brookie. So Beautiful! (sorry no pictures of this guy.) The rest of the day though was pretty uneventful, which I sadly would have to attribute to my skills. Im not very adept at using nymphs.
The next morning we hit it hard and was on the water by daylight. I concentrated on one large pool that I found that was completely polluted with trout. I tried about 15-20 different combinations. I tried nymphs, dries, and droppers of all different sizes. Got a lot of interest but no hits. I tied a size 10 wooly bugger on and had a trout follow it all the way back to me then strike right under a log which he conveniently wrapped himself around and broke my line.
After we got back I went to the little spot directly behind camp and landed another little stocker brookie. Again on a BWO.
Even though the trip wasnt as eventful as Id hoped I had a blast and hope everyone enjoys reading this.
Sorry for the lack of pictures. For some reason I couldn't upload my pics.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Weekend on the Cranberry

Hi Seth,

Thanks for your report. The Cranberry sounds like a spot I would like.

Here is a procedure on how to upload pictures. If it doesn't work for you the pictures may be too large and need to be resized. That is easily done in Picasa.

Frank
Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Seth, I'm with Frank on liking the sounds of the Cranberry.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seth: Great trip report, very enjoyable to read! Hopefully, you will get the procedure down for posting pics.

Larry
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

great report! I love the Cranberry and hoped to keep it a secret....

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great trip-- beautiful country down there.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Thanks for the support guys. It really was a lot of fun. Not only going fishing but just looking for "posting material." This was my first report post and was a lot of fun. I cant wait to get the chance to report somewhere else.
Silly I know.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Sounds like a great weekend.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sounds like a great place...Guess I'll have to add WV to my list of places I need to fish...Keep on fishing, practice makes perfect.

Dan
Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Huron river Dan, the Elk is also a great river to fish in WV.