The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Redemption....

Before I get to that, I tried out a new creek Saturday that is in the middle of town. I am liking it's potential for spring. It hold panfish, bass and catfish.
Click the image to open in full size.

First cast...

Unfortunately there were also lots of these...

There was no lack of fishy looking water either. There was a foamy eddy at the bottom right of this pic that I'm sure held fish, but I couldn't get to it because of the current dragging my line out.

I caught one more fish and called it a day. I had a long drive ahead of me, and I needed to hit the road.

This next trip was all about redemption. The last time I was there, I caught one of the famed sulphur hatches the river is known for. It was most certainly a sight to see. However, I only caught one dinky fish out of the dozens rising around me.
Replay from a few months back:

Fast forward to this weekend. I needed to experience this river again. A second chance to put into practice what I learned the last time.

Almost as soon as I got on the road, there was a deluge of rain. I don't know why I was surprised though, that's standard weather when I decide to go on a trip.

I pressed on and hoped the trip wouldn't be a bust. I arrived late, checked into the hotel and tried to sleep. I say "tried" because the anticipation of what the next day held kept me awake for most of the night. No matter how many fishing trips I have been on, and no matter how small any one trip may be, it feels like the night before Christmas every single time.

I arrived to find the water dingy, but not murky, and just a little high.

First few casts produced a nice spawning rainbow. Not what I was targeting, but a nice fish nonetheless.

Fishing was slow, I hooked and lost several more nice rainbows. Finally, I felt a familiar tug on the line.

It didn't stop there...

Another rainbow to keep the variety going..

Then another brown...

After quite a few browns and rainbows landed and lost, my stomach told me it was time to eat. All of the browns were caught on this:

Hit up a local hole in the wall for a hot meal.....

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Redemption....

After lunch I headed to another area.

I could tell some other fisherman had already been there..
Glad they practiced catch and release..

Soon after getting on the water, BAM!

Further down there were quite a few fish rising to BWOs coming off. I tied on one and picked my target.

The grassy area in the middle right of the below picture had a fish that was rising pretty consistently. I made several drifts before making one final cast. I watch him slam it that time! Cool to fish dries in February on high water. Not an easy thing to do.

As the day was drawing to a close, I admired the nice scenery and picked up maybe the nicest brown of the trip on a zebra midge.

I love these colors...

No lunkers were caught, but I bested my previous attempt and caught lots of nice fish. Total fish count was around 30. 2/3 of those were browns, which made me happy. I'll be back for sure!

Interesting...DSFK
futuramille, madjoni and lthrnk03 like this.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks like a great trip! Glad you had your redemption, and some perfect weather to push off those with less devotion A whole lot of beautiful fish! As far as the squirrel and the broken window, well, that's just perplexing. Looks like something for a caption contest!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

looks like a good day on the water. Nice looking fish. The squirrel on the other hand...thats just S-T-R-A-N-G-E!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Cant beat those results. What river in TN is that?

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Great report and beautiful fish.
As for the squirrel, is that on your wagon or did you come across it?

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

DSFK....funny.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Great report and beautiful fish.
As for the squirrel, is that on your wagon or did you come across it?
Just came across it. I couldn't resist a photo op of that one!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was good! Not so good for the squirrel but then that was none of your doing.

When you mentioned weather and your trip timing it reminded me of almost every trip my old fishing buddy and I ever took. We had considered offering our travel itinerary for a small fee so that others could plan around it. There were a few times we expected to run into the Weather Channel film crews at our destinations

Nice write up and great pictures,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice trip... great fishing and free tying material! milt.