The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM

humpy is on a distinguished road
Question flies for the snohomish

any west coast guys got any favorite flies to use on the snohomish in september? likely be mostly pinks around but maybe some others(silvers(coho)/kings(chinook)?).could be fishing fresh water, or some tidal.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM

ZGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: flies for the snohomish

I've only fished the Snohomish once but I used to frequent the rivers on the Peninsula particularly the Sol Duc and Quillayute. I always had pretty good action with big purple egg sucking leaches with tons of flash. A local favorite that seemed to get some attention was the King Kong. Good luck finding a shop that ties these big boys, I never could. Here's a picture of them.
Click the image to open in full size.

Bunny bugs and minnie leaches (heck just about any obnoxious leach pattern) will tear 'em up. Tight lines!

Zach
Old 01-07-2008, 07:05 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: flies for the snohomish

Sorry this is way too late, but this is good advice for anyone fishing for pink salmon under lots of fishing pressure. Everyone (spoon, jig, fly fishermen) seems to use either pink or white. Eventually the fish stop hitting these colors, especially by the time those Snoho fish head up the lower Skykomish. One September afternoon I was catching nothing on my usual shrimp pink conehead bugger. So I switched to an olive+black bunny leech. This got me 3 nice, 5lb salmon in 20 minutes. Black egg sucking leeches with plenty of weight toward the front work well also, and don't forget the most reliable (IMO) salmon fly/jig color, purple or black+purple. I'll be heading out to Seattle in 2009 just to hit the Sky for a week in September.