The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default San Juan 8-18/20

Hi All,

I was able to take my son on his first flyfishing trip this weekend to the San Juan in NM. Wish I could report that we slayed them, but it was so darn hot and the fish had a bad case of lockjaw. Tough fishing for everyone and we saw relatively few fish caught. On Monday morning, we watched numerous guided float trips in the Texas Hole for over 4 hours and didn't see a single fish landed. That morning, we arrived around 7 AM, had the place to ourselves for an hour or so, and caught 4 between us within an hour and a half. After that, the bite shut down.

On Sunday morning, James was able to land two on a foam ant and did his Dad proud! He was a little apprehensive that the fish would slip away and kinda did a stranglehold for the photo ops. I promise, both fish were released and actually spashed us as a final farewell. I'll have him being a photo ham in no time.

I also caught my first on my new Sage SLT 3 wt and I've decided a 3 wt is the only rod I want to use on the Juan from now on. The biggest I caught was probably around 19" or so, but the fight was unbelieveable! James was trout bumming and wasn't there to take a pic of my first, so I took one next to the new rod. For size reference, that's a Ross CLA 1.

Flies that worked pretty much ran the gamut - midge larvae/pupae, size 24 para adams/BWO, foam ants. They also seemed to REALLY like black yard indicators...actually fought one for about 20 seconds before he spit it out!

Here's a few pics from our trip - not a bad way for a young man to be introduced to flyfishing, if I say so myself.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg james 1st bow.jpg (95.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg james 2nd bow.jpg (78.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg thole pm bow.jpg (52.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1st on 3 wt.jpg (82.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: San Juan 8-18/20

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the pictures. Some nice fish. Your son will remember this trip for the rest of his life. A slow day on the San Juan is still better than a good day on some other waters. How is the water level? I have been tempted by Ross reels a few times but I just can't get past the in-coming click. I want a silent retrive.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi Frank,

The flows are still hovering around 800 and the water is gin clear. I know what you mean about the incoming click. I had bought it last fall and it's been a really good reel so far, but to be honest I'm a die hard Lamson fanatic. I've got a Velocity on my 5 wt and a Lightspeed on the 10 wt. Maybe I'll stumble across a size 1 Velocity one of these days, but I've probably spent more than enough on this addicition lately. I did see someone in Texas Hole with a pontoon Monday morning and have decided I NEED one. Maybe I can work some overtime during the "dog days" and treat myself before the weather cools

Phil
Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Phil,

A pontoon boat works great on the San Juan. It is the only good way to fish Texas hole when the flow is high. I am still using my Lampson LP that I bought back in the 80's right after they came to market with the Lampson name.

Lampson LP
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

Frank, I have one of those also. It is the 1.5 that I throw on my 379LL, love it!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

I've got a Velocity on my 5 wt and a Lightspeed on the 10 wt. Maybe I'll stumble across a size 1 Velocity one of these days, but I've probably spent more than enough on this addicition lately.

Phil,

How does the spool on your Velocity fasten to the reel? Does it use an "O" ring like the Waterworks or is it fasten some other way? I bought my LP-2 in Alaska and thought I needed the extra line capacity.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Hi Frank,

Tinkering minds want to know, but I've resisted tearing it apart to see how it works! The spool just snaps on and off and it's stem goes into the reel body. The conical drag is super smooth at the lower settings, it's a tough reel and good looking as well. I have mine spooled with about 100 yds of 20 lb backing. I thought I had a size 1 the other day for 125 bucks, only to get a call the next day saying they'd been meaning to pull it off their site since they didn't have anymore. I was more than a little bummed.

Phil