The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: exotic trout in Wisconsin?

Tigers are as mean as they are pretty. And they love to attack flies! I may have to hit huntington Res when I go up for ice off.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefullcreel
This thread inspired me to research the Tiger Trout. I'm in love. Now... I have to catch one. Fanatic... when we gonna go catch a Utah Tiger Trout? Curtis, You got an extra bed??? Mike can sleep on the floor... or with you. I've attached another cool pic of a nice Tiger. BigCliff, you wanna go?
No problem. Just let me know so I can stock up on some bloody steak for breakfast!!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I played for a small Division III school in San Antonio called Trinity University. They actually use a bracketed playoff system for D3 and we made it to the final 8 every year I was playing. I totally tore the MCL in my left knee junior year and it never fully recovered, this also contributed to me not playing senior year.

Here I go nerding again, but I think that picture is actually of a "Marble Trout", not a tiger. Marbles are a subspecies of Brown (based on the scientific name) which are exclusive to Slovakia and some nearby countries. Here's more info: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/zoo/publik...e%20trout.html.

I think Davy said he has caught them and could likely tell us more about them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Interesting... You may be right about the Marble Trout. The source identified it as a Tiger but they could be wrong. I'll research it a little... I certainly do not want to misrepresent our friend fish.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: exotic trout in Wisconsin?

Hey Steve do you think we could talk TPWD into stocking Tiger Trout at Tyler State Park next winter.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hilbert
Hey Steve do you think we could talk TPWD into stocking Tiger Trout at Tyler State Park next winter.
Just the two of you? I doubt it.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

BigCliff, I got the Tiger Trout photo from http://www.assabetriver.org/streamwatch/tigertrout.html
The MA Fisheries and Wildlife folks are convinced its a Tiger Trout

Cliff if you break the ice I'll bring the club down on'em. Tigers would be a heck-uv-a lot more fun than those wimpy rainbow they put in there.

Fanatic... whatchoo talken about bro???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TigerTroutBB1a.jpg (20.2 KB, 37 views)

Old 04-09-2005, 10:53 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default Tiger Trout

Oh yes. what a gorgeous looking fish they are.

Back in the homelands of the UK, there was a man by the name of Sam Holland. This guy owned a private fishery called Avington and way back in the 70s period has figured out how to use the gentics of fish to raise Rainbows to unreal proportions, 30 lb plus fish. Whivh you could go and fish for at this fishery at a price of course. Now this big stock fish were not alway as asy to catch as you might belive as l can attest too.

But he also messed around with cross breeding of other species such as the Tiger trout, which again he was able to grow very large. I caught some of those fish and boy are they pretty.

Sam, no doubt led the way back then for what is now common place, certainly in the UK, for the raising of large trout, which fetch a very high price indeed l can tell you. They are often purchased and stocked into the smaller put and take fisheries as a means to promote that fishery as having large fish of 20lb or more to be caught.
It is not my thing to be honest, l have done it and will admit that one. But the essence of fly fishing for trout is not in my view to fish for them in small put and take fisheries, even tho l will tell you that these big fish and for that matter the regular stock fish can become very difficult to catch at times, there is no doubt of that one. If they have been able to survive for a period of time.

Davy.

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS
Old 01-01-2006, 09:57 PM

bobdea will become famous soon enoughbobdea will become famous soon enough

Tigers are common here in MA, mass wildlife stocks alot of them, most in the 10 to 17 in range I have never pulled a tiger early in the season before stocking gets going so I assume they either don't winter well here or are not active in cold water.

this year was nuts for large stockers on a couple rivers though, got a 22 inch rainbow and a whole mess of browns in the low 20s
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

this is what wisconsin TIGERS look like.
Caught this one yesterday.

Click the image to open in full size.