The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Exotic Trout in Wisconsin?

[IMG2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4/ATiger1.bmp[/IMG2] Found this on another site but wanted to share it with everybody. This is one of the most uniquely beautiful fish I have ever seen.

That site calls it a "Tiger Trout" and says that its a naturally ocurring hybrid of a Brown and a Brook trout. They are rare and sterile, but occur often enough to be well known in the great lakes area.

[IMG2="right"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4/ATiger2.bmp[/IMG2] The tiger trout is a sterile hybrid cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout bearing unusual tiger-like markings found in neither parent. Tiger trout are very rare in the wild but they can occur in areas where book and brown trout both occur and share spawning grounds. Unfortunately, only about 35 percent of the young are able to develop because of a disease which is inherent in the sac fry. One example of the tiger trout was found in the Assabet River during the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife surveys. Tiger trout have been produced on a small scale in private hatcheries and stocked in various waters, where they are considered a fine gamefish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:48 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: exotic trout in Wisconsin?

They are stocked in numerous lakes in Utah as well. I have caught some up to 5lbs. They are incredible fighters and will attack most any fly!

They are fun!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

bigcliff, i post on that site. the guy that caught it is REALLY tight lipped out tellin people his fishing spots. beautiful fish though!

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll admit I post some on there too, although its pretty well always pertaining to equipment or flies.

I had to correct one guy recently who was saying that rod companies make multi-piece rods by cutting up solid blanks and adding ferrules. Geez!

Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

lol,i asked the question. BTW whats your name on there?

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

They might have exotic trout in Wisconsin, but we have EROTIC CARP here in Texas. That's right EROTIC CARP! Have you seen the carp in the shallows in the local lakes in the past week or so? They are up in the shallows cavorting around doing their spring mating ritual, having sex right in front of everyone! They have no shame because they mate right there out in the open for all of us to watch and enjoy, er, to hide our eyes from. Have you seen those females shaking their tails all around? Some might call it "tailing", like redfish do, but it is really a sexual act by wanton females with no shame, shaking their tails for all to see. It is scandalous how they perform their erotic acts right there in the open, I think that I might call up the Baptists Pastors Association and ask them to come out and see if they can put a stop to this.

LSU TIGERS!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I catch these from time to time in the Weber river here in Utah. They are also in several lakes here. The ones in the Weber are naturally occuring wild fish but the ones in the lakes are planters.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sr. Cliff!

How dare you expose us to the fact that wild animals procreate in the wild. Who would ever expect such a thing!?

Easternflyfisher: I post there as "BigCliff" as well. Some might think it to be self promotion, but I'm just big. I played NT for a very successful NCAA football team from 1998 to 2001 and got used to the idea. I have yet to break 6' , but 250lbs was broken long ago. I decided to quit playing ball in 2001 in the interest of fishing and have never looked back.

Curtis: who would ever have expected a peanut infestation (planters) in your local lakes? let us know if this improves!

Old 04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

This thread inspired me to research the Tiger Trout. I'm in love. Now... I have to catch one. Fanatic... when we gonna go catch a Utah Tiger Trout? Curtis, You got an extra bed??? Mike can sleep on the floor... or with you. I've attached another cool pic of a nice Tiger. BigCliff, you wanna go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TigerTroutBB1a.jpg (20.2 KB, 913 views)

Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Cliff... don't be modest... go ahead and tell us. Who did you play for???