The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Humbled by a new river...

I had a business trip to Lake Tahoe and brought along my rod to get some fishing in! The plan was to fish the Little Truckee since I fished it last spring and had a great time, but the snow made me change my plans.

I had never fished the Truckee so I decided to give it a shot.

Man...was I in for a surprise. Maybe it's because I generally stick to water I know, but my confidence in myself was sky high.

High Confidence + New Water = Eating Crow.

I thought it was going to be easy, but with only 3 fish and 1 landed, I had a tough time. I thought I was a good fisherman, but man! Was I in for a surprise. Now don't get me wrong, the fishing wasn't bad. I had a limited amount of time to fish, but I was expecting to land a few more fish than I did.

I did manage this beauty.
Click the image to open in full size.

Later that week, I fished the East Walker. More like a traditional tailwater that I'm used to. Fishing was better, but still tough. You needed a super clean drift and it took me a while to figure out the currents and how I needed to cast to set up a perfect drift. I picked up quite a few more fish and even had fun that afternoon slinging streamers for browns.

Overall, a great trip and a learning experience. I'll be back in April and I'm looking forward to trying the Truckee again, and if the snow isn't too bad, the Little Truckee too.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Re: Humbled by a new river...

Those are some pretty decent fish.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That rainbow is quite the football, not a bad fish for a humbling trip, I would say! I wish that I had some good 5wt water like that near me that was fishable right now... A few fish isn't so bad for a scouting trip, no reason to lose confidence!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

vitesse304: Yes, I understand, I have heard that the Little Truckee can be humbling to say the least. Fly Fishing Internet Radio did an episode on the Little Truckee last week, you might want to listen to the segment. Anyway, congrats on the great looking fish!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I had similar experiences in CA.
Fished the Merced all day. Only saw the one fish I caught all day, at least a nice lake run rainbow.
Fished the Carson river for a morning, managed a few bites and a couple smaller fish, spooky.
At least you didn't catch a skunk!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I'm VERY glad I didn't catch a skunk!

The east walker was much nicer to me, and it was fun trying new rivers.

I learned that I've gotten lazy fishing in some of the places that I do.

The Truckee and especially the east walker needed super precise drifts. And the old adage that if you can see them, they can see you certainly came into place.

It made for challenging fishing and lessons learned that I can bring back to CO and catch even more fish now!

Last edited by vitesse304; 02-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The Truckee is by far the hardest river I have fished. It will beat you up but when you do get into fish they are typically pretty good sized fish. Next time you're in town hit me up and maybe we can get a couple of other forum guys around town to come too.