The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DEEP and FAST nymph rigs?

I did some deep nymphing on Stillwater this weekend. I used a 20' piece of Flourocarbom 6lb. Put a chironomid on the end, but later put a split shot BB about 8" up, that seem to help a lot. I also tie a second Chironomid up about three feet from the first.
I caught two fish Sunday at the same time. First time that has happened doing this cause it is two different zones. I have had a double nymph/streamer or even two dries, but never deep nymphing. It was KEWL!
My Chironomids are all tungsten bead heads also.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

That is an interesting setup. How does that 20' tippet cast? You are with out a doubt our Stillwater expert.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, I could FABRICATE the story as Fishermen are know to be ABLE to do and tell you it cast easy, but alas it doesn't. It doesn't cast at all LOL. It is feed the line down between your legs to the depth you want, set the indicator, then keck away and watch. The cool thing is, when it is on, the will hit it on the way down.
I do prefer the indicator over Chans style, specially on breezy days cause the indicator is bouncing up and down and the fish hit hard!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM

hatchhunter is on a distinguished road

My suggestion is to learn to czech nymph. That the kind of water czech nymphing was made for. Tie some flies that are like a scud but with a whole lot of lead wire wrapped in them to use as anchor flies. Then you have 2 more realistic nymphs in your rig as well. You should be able to tick the bottom with a czech nymph which rides upside down to avoid hook ups. Look at getting some Partridge of Redditch Czech nymph hooks in size 6 and 8's for this application.
Josh
Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I recently started using Seguar flouro ( Invisx ) 4lb or 6lb on the fly line and then attach 5x, or 6x...

A guide friend told me about this line for nymphing stating it gets down really quick and is strong. I tend to agree. Stuff costs a bunch but doesn't pigtail and is really strong.. oh and will strech back if it does get pigtailllyyyyy

My two and sometimes 3 fly rigs will be... 6 to 8 of Seguar with 2 to 3 feet of airflo 6x or 5x if I feel it is cloudy..

Take a look at czech fishing. I believe this idea added a new tool for me on nymphin fish. (Fishing tips)

It is really fun and works well in high sticking fast water areas.. Try it slowly.. My first outing was 2 fish in 1 hour with 25 minutes of untangling per fish after I landed them..
Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I did some deep nymphing on Stillwater this weekend. I used a 20' piece of Flourocarbom 6lb. Put a chironomid on the end, but later put a split shot BB about 8" up, that seem to help a lot. I also tie a second Chironomid up about three feet from the first.
I caught two fish Sunday at the same time. First time that has happened doing this cause it is two different zones. I have had a double nymph/streamer or even two dries, but never deep nymphing. It was KEWL!
My Chironomids are all tungsten bead heads also.
Joni you are a god... I recently had 14' of 6lb flouro with a jig head and a live minnow on the end with a weight. And I was in a boat on a crappie lake in texas.. It killed me to try to nymph with this rig. I had to hold the minnow with one hand and the rod with the other and flip together in a smooth action. Took about 4 hours to figure out but finally started fishing without catching me,boat, rope, dog or fisher's.. Can't imagine even thinking about 20'... I will keep that in mind... thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

This (drop shotting) technique is a hot topic some places, and some what frowned upon.
I don't practice it, and have had clients ask me if I did, as their lead question.
Told me later they wouldn't have hired me if I did.
To me, it's about like bobber fishing was a few years ago for trout, or for steelies now...
I just think we don't need more lead in the watershed.
Might be a good subject for a member poll.

Bigfly
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
This (drop shotting) technique is a hot topic some places, and some what frowned upon.
I don't practice it, and have had clients ask me if I did, as their lead question.
Told me later they wouldn't have hired me if I did.
To me, it's about like bobber fishing was a few years ago for trout, or for steelies now...
I just think we don't need more lead in the watershed.
Might be a good subject for a member poll.
I am still FUZZY on the drop shot stuff. Is it like those BIG lead sinkers people use for Walleye?
I have been using Tungsten and lead sub for many years, as I feel the same as you. I look at the way people FREAKED when they found out that their dinner wear from China contained lead. Allot of people got rid of their plates and cups, but in the same tolken, allot of people don't think twice about using lead to fish with. In fact some have said..."I don't use that much" but times that by all the people and that number grows every second.

I say, don't use it at all, but that is just me.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

A "dropped shot" is any size shot, suspended below the bottom fly. It presents the fly at trout eye level. You lose the shot not the fly, when you hang up.
The question for some people it seems, is this bass fishing style, OK for trout.
I don't care if I ever fish this way. I don't care if you fish this way, but everybody please, don't use lead.

Bigfly
Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I use longer finer leaders when nymphing in deeper water; my leader total length is in the 12 to 14 foot range. The bulk of the leader will be 3x flouro, if the water is clear I will make the final 24" 4x. Use weighted nymphs, and a couple of small shot attached above the flies.

The small leader will drop through the water much more readily then a conventional leader. You cast the rig upstream of where you expect the fish to be, toss an upstream mend and get as much of the fly line off the water as possible. Follow your line with the rod tip and watch where your line where it enters the water, or your indicator.

Dan