The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Small Creek, Big fish

I walked one of my favorite creeks today, just checking it out since the season doesn't open for another month. This is a pretty small creek, I mean I can jump across it just about everywhere and I dont think there is a pool deeper than 4 feet anymore. Irene filled in most of them. I have been fishing this place forever. I learned to fish here using worms, spinners and then on the fly. It has always been a spot with its surprises. For the last 3 years I have been chasing a brown that has to be pushing 20 inches but I havent been able to land him. Hooked him once.

Why am I rambling on? Well, I spotted a hog today. Easily the biggest brown I have seen in the area. I dont think it's the same fish I have been after unless he grew about 6 inches since I last saw him which was this summer. I was shocked when I saw this fish. I didn't know this creek could grow them this big but it makes sense, a ton of baitfish, insects and cover.

Here is what he looks like. The pictures dont do him justice unfortunately.

Click the image to open in full size.

I merged two pics together to try and give a comparison in size. Im pretty sure the smaller fish is between 11 and 13 inches.

Any guesses on his size? Im thinking he has to be 25 inches or better.

- Tyler

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Small Creek, Big fish

Hi Tyler,

I figure that if I see a fish that looks 16" under water it'll most likely be somewhere in the 18 - 19" range if I can get it out of the water. Since you were able to look pretty much strait down on the trout there shouldn't be such a drastic difference in what you perceive and what really is. Trout are funny animals when looked upon by a man. They almost always appear to be bigger than they really are to us. This is not to say that you didn't find a really nice specimen there

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler...The post title got excited right away...I just love those words "big fish, small water." Good for you man, sneaking up on a hog like that, and for finding it in your home waters.

Hard to say how big the fish is, but if you were sure the smaller fish in the last photo is a 12" trout, then your new quest is better than twice the size.

Guess you'll just have to fool that old guy this spring and find out!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I know I am always one to over estimate the size of fish. Its funny because Im a pretty good judge of distances and length. I just feel like it has to be larger than 18" Seeing it in person it looked a lot more impressive but I guess the only sure way of knowing the length is going to be to lay hands on it.

As you could tell by the pic I was standing on a bridge looking down on it. No one really fishes these waters so I am not worried about someone else finding it but it is in a tricky location. However, there is a small drainage that comes in just above and after a good rain it clouds up the creek. That is when I am going to have to strike. Haha.

I will make sure to keep you guys posted and hopefully in a month or so I will have a grip and grin photo!

- Tyler

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Disclaimer: My memory is totally shot on this one, so don't quote me here: as a result of the refractive qualities of water, objects typically look 1/3 larger than they actually are (I cannot remember the number exactly, but it was a conversion we learned in diving courses, and it's very handy to remember that there will be a size difference when spear-fishing in particular).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM

4trout is on a distinguished road

Brings back memories. Caught one of my biggest trout in a tiny stream when I was a boy in PA.