The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fallguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 PM

fallguy is on a distinguished road
Default Oregon Coastal Steelhead Trip Report w/video

Tried out my new Contour headcam a few weeks back and put together some highlights of a day steelhead fishing with a local guide. I took my bigger trout gear (6wt reel, 7wt 10' rod with fighting butt) but was outmatched by some large Steelies on this day. Next time I'll gear up differently!!!

We fished several rivers over a 3 day period but I only had my headcam going on the day we took the guide. We fished the Nestucca and Nehalem rivers and 1/2 day on the Wilson.

And if you get a chance please leave a comment on the YouTube page.

Chris
aka Fallguy

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-09-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Removed link to outfitters site
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Oregon Coastal Steelhead Trip Report w/video

Sorry no youtube account, great fish, looks like the hen almost cleaned the clock. Keep em coming!

Rick
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Great video! I could feel the adrenaline with the pov cam; been thinking of upgrading from my Drift X170 to a Contour Roam...is that what you are using?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great Clip! But you need to put up the utube link so we can access same. Love to post that over to a couple of UK based boards.

Fred

EDIT: Things you didn't know ...... right 'click' the video and up comes a Utube menu.... I didn't know that.
fae
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

That's awesome! All I want to do is fish for steelhead every day. My dogs are bitter and my girlfriend is fed up. This video is a pretty good example why I'm ok with that.

Also I don't feel silly for buying my big reel now. Those are some hot fish!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM

fallguy is on a distinguished road

OK, I'm not real tech savvy with the YouTube stuff yet (or this board for that matter). But here is the actual YouTube link:

If I use the "link" button on the message panel here it automatically puts up the video in the message. [Post note: I can't get the pasted link to NOT show the video in the message]. But the link above is direct to YouTube if you cut and paste. Please add any (good) comments on the YouTube site and hit the "like" button if you can! That will really lift the spirits of both my video editor and myself after spending far more hours than expected on the edits ;-)

WANNAFISH -- I used the Contour+ cam. It's really pricey at $500 but it does have the GPS function which is really cool. This is the first time that I figured out how it works and when I uploaded the clips at the end of the day I noticed another screen with the exact point where each clip was taken plotted on 3 different types of maps (topo/satellite/etc). So I now have a record of each bend/run where each fish was hooked (don't tell the guide!).

I now see they have the Contour Roam out which can be purchased for $170 and is totally waterproof (mine is not). No GPS function but I consider that a "nice to have" but not essential. The only downside I can see to the Roam is that it's an internal battery only, ie you can't carry extra batteries for a long day on the water. I carried an extra battery with me on this day but it turned out I didn't need it because I was very careful of not wanting to run out of juice or max out my memory cards. Next time I'll run a bunch more video now that I'm more familiar with battery saving options and estimated run times.

Ooops, I'm supposed to be working right now...

Chris
wannafish likes this.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Great Clip! But you need to put up the utube link so we can access same. Love to post that over to a couple of UK based boards.

Fred

EDIT: Things you didn't know ...... right 'click' the video and up comes a Utube menu.... I didn't know that.
fae

Left click on the video where it says "YouTube" and it will open the youtube page. This is not as important here where the forum software lets you watch it in full screen, but other places where the forum software won't let you you can open the youtube page and then watch it in full screen.