The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM

southwestangler is on a distinguished road
Default southern utah

Made it out to a Utah river for the first trip of the year! Fishing was slow, but I did manage a couple of good fish.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2012, 04:03 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Re: southern utah

Never a bad thing to catch browns that are just about too big to fit in the net. Looks like a fun day.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the great looking Brown trout!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM

penjak is on a distinguished road

I love fishing in Utah, mostly because my wife really likes Utah so its no problem at all to tell her " hey, you wanna go to Utah for a few days?" without hesitation, she says, " I'll start packing". I haven't fishing Southern Utah, but I am now thanks to your pics,,
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM

southwestangler is on a distinguished road

Utah has some great fishing spots and its not combat fishing like some so the popular states and there waters....
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM

penjak is on a distinguished road

Yes, I totally agree. I'm from So Cal so the closest quality waters to me are Hot Creek and E. Walker in the eastern sierras. Now talk about combat fishing, sometimes the rivers are soo crowded, its like everyone is fishing with a guide cuz the next agler is breathing down your neck, waiting to inch his way in to throw in his line..cant Wait to retire, only 10have more years,, Heber Valley is already on my list
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough

I know a place in southern Utah in the middle of the canyons where a cold stream runs out into a huge shallow rocky delta before flowing into a warm river. You can walk through the water (1 ft deep), and fat trout jump out of your way. Casting is easy, and catching is good in July.

I'm not telling where it is, but it proves that there is fly fishing even in some of the canyons which are primarily desert.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Driving through Utah during the holidays, I stumbled across a very small cold stream in the heart of canyon country.
It was loaded with nice browns that were incredibly hard to sneak up on.
The fishing was great, totally unexpected, and there were actually some pigs in that 10' wide creek. I look forward to getting back to that canyon. There is about a 3 mile stretch of creek between the 'river' and a waterfall that cuts off the upper end. What a gem!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Nice fish!! Looks like a great first trip!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Utah has the worst fishing in the U.S.
Don't bother going to fish Utah. All the best fishing in Utah is in Idaho. Save your money.
The Green River has dried up and the Provo rivers have nothing but chub in them.
Same with Strawberry Reservoir. Nothing but chubs.