The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
I will have to admit though, that its not my most productive midge. Who would have thought that a blueish midge would produce?..(post a request for more info if you're interested)

Cliff: I cut my teeth on ffing with nymphing (double nymph rigs to go deep). I would be interested in your blueish midge. As well, it sounds like your antron midge has a similar two color style as the skip morris (I believe) nymph that combines the look of a pheasant tail and haresear patterns, true? Pics or patterns in the mail would be great.

As for caddis patterns, I've been looking to spend more time on local (ID) waters with a pattern that I tied for a swap a few years back. http://www.fishwest.net/utah/flybox/...lil_caddis.htm
I was looking for something rather bullet proof (like a stimulator) and that could handle a dropper when fishing dry-dropper combos without using a lot of gink.

Thanks in advance,

TJ
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Wow, fishwest is still around? I used to post there when I lived in SLC. The forums were always a total Flame Fest of sorts...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 AM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
Wow, fishwest is still around? I used to post there when I lived in SLC. The forums were always a total Flame Fest of sorts...
I had a similar experience with them Mike. But it's where I got started with the online ffing forums. In fact, it's the forum through which I first met two fellahs -- Jason and Mike -- who hatched the idea for another site. Through Fishwest we set up a trip and it was the first time we had all met each other. Long story short, utahonthefly.com was born. I know you're familiar with it. Their site and this are the only two I spend any time with now. (On a lighter side, it was a committed member of UTOTF who somewhat chewed me out when I first introduced this site there. Worried that I would "pimp" their membership or something like that.)

TJ
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

TJ. The blue midge has an abdomen made of the Blue Flashabou Mirage mylar. I think I made the thorax out of either natural rabbit or adams grey superfine dubbing. I had two short tails made from the flash material.

The antron midge is painfully simple, but works well. Its easiest to tie with antron dubbing. The antron will be sticking out both ends, as a tail and over the hook eye. Use the thread of desired color for the abdomen. Tie down the antron where you want the south end of the abdomen to be, and continue to wrap up to where the thorax will begin. (add a wire rib over the abdomen if you like, for weight or segmentation) With the antron pulled back, dub a smallish abdomen. Pull the antron over the thorax and tie it down at the eye. Pull it out of the way and whip finish. Trim the antron to desired length at the ends.

Last one took longer to describe in type than it does to tie.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Rowden
I had a similar experience with them Mike. But it's where I got started with the online ffing forums. In fact, it's the forum through which I first met two fellahs -- Jason and Mike -- who hatched the idea for another site. Through Fishwest we set up a trip and it was the first time we had all met each other. Long story short, utahonthefly.com was born. I know you're familiar with it. Their site and this are the only two I spend any time with now. (On a lighter side, it was a committed member of UTOTF who somewhat chewed me out when I first introduced this site there. Worried that I would "pimp" their membership or something like that.)

TJ
I think that was me.. LOL I have since been banned from UTOF.. Go figure.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
TJ. The blue midge has an abdomen made of the Blue Flashabou Mirage mylar. I think I made the thorax out of either natural rabbit or adams grey superfine dubbing. I had two short tails made from the flash material . . . Last one took longer to describe in type than it does to tie.
Thanks Cliff. I'll look into the patterns.

Mike, if it was you on UTOTF does that mean I get the $ for the referral??? Better yet, since you are now one of the main administrators, my referral reward is then doubled right? ;o)

TJ
Old 07-28-2005, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Mike, if it was you on UTOTF does that mean I get the $ for the referral??? Better yet, since you are now one of the main administrators, my referral reward is then doubled right? ;o)

TJ
That is something you will need to take up with Steve. I just work here.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 AM

No need to visit with Steve. It's just been good (not to mention entertaining) to see the impact you've had on the site and membership. That's worth more than anything Steve could offer . . . except for that nice rod I managed to get drawn for. As far as I'm concerned, I've been well reimbursed a few times over.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 AM

Quote:
No need to visit with Steve. It's just been good (not to mention entertaining) to see the impact you've had on the site and membership. That's worth more than anything Steve could offer . . . except for that nice rod I managed to get drawn for. As far as I'm concerned, I've been well reimbursed a few times over.
I appreciate the kind words, really I do. However, I would have to disagree. All I really do is is the coding and such.. Steve is the "Power behind the Site". I just try to make happen what he wants to have happen.

The site has drawn a nice bunch of members. It is a pleasant change from the constant bickering you find on many of the sites. (I wont mention names).
Old 07-29-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I appreciate the kind words, really I do. However, I would have to disagree. All I really do is is the coding and such.. Steve is the "Power behind the Site". I just try to make happen what he wants to have happen.

The site has drawn a nice bunch of members. It is a pleasant change from the constant bickering you find on many of the sites. (I wont menthion names).
Well met Mike. To Steve and all involved, NAFFF is good to be a part of. Now if I can just make the time to sit down and sift through what is already a growing list of "I nee to read that" aritcles from this site. The old take a drink from a fire hydrant picture comes to mind ;o).

P.S. Mike, did you ever participate in swaps from UTOTF -- one in particular a good while back that I think I cooked up called a mini-swap that included three tyers, three flys, within three days? It just seems like I've rubbed shoulders with you before (unless someone else had your handle on the other site).