The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/251-prefer-fish-mayflies-caddis-other.html)

BigCliff 04-13-2005 09:56 AM

Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other?

I just wanted to see what everybody's favorite bug to fish is, if y'all have preferences. What's your bug?

While trout fishing with emergers or dries, I fish almost exclusively caddis patterns. I don't use the super-imitative spring creek type stuff, more like small Stimulators and LaFontaine's Diving Caddis. I like how active Caddis flies are versus mayflies and midges. I really like fishing dry caddis patterns across and down, throwing in what Gary called a "good bad mend", and seeing trout KILL the thing. Give me some of that and some good pocket water to drag nymphs through, and I'm real happy.

I do spend a lot of time deep nymphing as well, and the patterns I use there aren't really insect specific. They are usually copper johns or soft hackle peacocks. I'm also starting to fish midges more and more because they produce when other stuff doesn't.

If I had the chance to fish them, I'd probably be a big stonefly fan too. But compared to Caddis, the hatches aren't near as constant.

fshfanatic 04-13-2005 10:02 AM

Re: Prefer to fish Mayflies, Caddis, or other?

I have an obsession with fishing HOPPERS! I also love the "Royal Stimulator"

Fish Bones 04-13-2005 10:22 AM

I suppose anything dry is my favorite fly. The small mountain stream fly fishing that I like the best usually calls for attractor flies like a Royal Wulff, an Elk Hair Caddis or Stimulator in a size 16. Give me a handful of those and a high mountain stream in July and I'll be in pure bliss.

Curtis 04-13-2005 12:10 PM

Complete agreement with Steve. I love the small creeks and a royall wulff.

Others I love are the Green drake hatch on the mid provo, the Cicada hatch on the green, giant salmonfly on the blacksmith fork, and we get one wicked caddis blizzard on the weber.

ffjones 04-13-2005 12:13 PM

the hit you get from a hopper just seems better than a slurp of the dries.
but i do like fishing them as well.

BigCliff 04-13-2005 12:20 PM

For you Royal Wulff fans out there, do you tie your own or buy them? I've never even attempted to tie them because they look like a royal pain. I believe wholeheartedly in the near-magical qualities of peacock herl, but I will find other ways to use it.

ffjones 04-13-2005 01:00 PM

tying the royal's are a lot easier than you think. it takes a few times to get it right and when i started to tie them i tied them on a #10 just to get the hang of it and then worked down to the size i use now. #16 for the royal coachman

Fish Bones 04-13-2005 04:32 PM

I buy the darn things. I can tie a Wulff but I dont like to. I can buy them for $0.60 each at www.blueflycafe.com with free shipping. Now tying them for the love of the art of tying is one thing but for flies just to fish... at that price I just refuse to tie them.

BigCliff 04-13-2005 05:02 PM

good lord they're cheap! $7.50 for a dozen! Steve, are they well tied though?

Some of the flies pictured on their site are pretty ugly. Fattest tricos I've ever seen. But I guess the fact that I'm pickier than most contributes to the fact that I wouldn't approve of my royal wulffs.

fshfanatic 04-13-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff
good lord they're cheap! $7.50 for a dozen! Steve, are they well tied though?

Some of the flies pictured on their site are pretty ugly. Fattest tricos I've ever seen. But I guess the fact that I'm pickier than most contributes to the fact that I wouldn't approve of my royal wulffs.

Not as picky as Steve. I know this first hand. :icon_bigg