The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Fall trout flies?

Well I'm gonna be fishing gunpowder falls this fall, a time of year when noone is stupid enough to swim or boat in. And they from what I hear, the browns there do spawn in the fall. I also know about the possible fast and slow water conditions.

So I was wondering what a few good sculpin/minnow flies would be good for this fall, preferably from Cabela's website, as I have an offer for triple rewards points.

So far I have picked out beadhead wooly buggers in black, white, and a black nose dace.

I will most likely strip them across deep pools with split shots attached.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fall trout flies?

To get streamers down into deep pools, I love using a sinking polyleader. Its the fastest and cheapest way to go from fishing a floating line to a sink tip line. I think Cabelas has their own private labeled version, and they may have them from Rio, Airflo, or maybe others as well. This is a good, simpler Sculpin pattern you should be able to find Whitlock's Near 'Nuff Sculpin along with Umpqua - Conehead Kiwi Muddler, Dennis’™ Umpqua - Matuka Sculpin, Whitlock's™ and Umpqua - Wool-Head Sculpin, Lawson’s™

Some of those will get pretty dang heavy once wet, so cast with care. The last two would really be better fished on an 8wt than a 5wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM

ZGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fall trout flies?

I agree with above. I have had lot's of luck sinking Matukas in deep pools. I've even done pretty well sinking and even skimming the topwater with smaller brown Matukas in some of the colder lakes and reservoirs in Central California. They are kind of my go to pattern this time of year. Sometimes it's nice to add a little weight too.

Up on the Olympic Peninsula where the water stays cold year round, we used to use the ol' fav wooly bugger's and big obnoxious egg sucking leaches (the cutties loved the purple ones with tons of flash). Good luck!