The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stocked Wild Or Somewhere in Between?

Great thread, glad it was revitalized. Most of my fishing is done in the high country (6K to 11K) of Colorado and Wyoming. But I don't think I've ever caught a truly "native" fish. I even catch a lot of greenback cutthroats (a native to the state) but where I catch them are areas where they've been introduced and are now self sustaining.

As far as I'm concerned the best trout fishing in the world is in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. But prior to the 1930's the range only had a handful of lakes that held native cutts. Then a guy named Finis Mitchell lost his job during the Great Depression and started up a fishing and camping guide service in the Big Sandy Openings in the southern part of the range. Within a decade he (with the help of the state F&G) was responsible for the stocking of over 500 high lakes in the Winds, including the finest golden trout fisheries in the world. There are few fisheries in the Winds that are still stocked, and the trout have held up remarkably well by themselves.

My favorite backcountry area of Colorado is the Flat Tops. I talked to a DOW guy there who said they've given up stocking the backcountry 20 years ago due to their budget. But there are many lakes and small streams that still support healthy populations of cutts and brookies.

Even though I catch no "natives," it is nice to cradle trout in your hands at 10000 feet that haven't been influenced by man in eighty years. And I also love getting to easily caught trout from a few put-n-take reservoirs around Colorado. And I also fish places like South Boulder Creek and the South Platte that are regularly stocked.

My stats would be about:

0% native
20% stockers
10% holdovers
70% self sustaining
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Seems to me that brown trout are an introduced species of trout so they cannot be considered to be native trout.

As for wild trout.....I would say that a wild trout is a trout that was born in the waters that it was caught in.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Driftless area Wisconsin

Browns and Brookies and Tigers 100% wild
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Driftless area Wisconsin

Browns and Brookies and Tigers 100% wild
You get naturally occurring tigers over there? Cool.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
You get naturally occurring tigers over there? Cool.
Don't quote me, but I think it might be the only place were tiger trout occur naturally in the wild.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post

Don't quote me, but I think it might be the only place were tiger trout occur naturally in the wild.
Naturally produced Tiger Trout occur in some areas of the Appalachians as well... extremely rare though. The Holy Grail of mountain troutin'

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I guess I never thought of tigers to be a stocked item...I figured it was only a rare natural occurrence that happened in areas that have browns and brookies...

As for Wild, Stocked, Native... Don't ever really take it into account that much... I'm usually too invested into just catching a fish and enjoying my surroundings... I know a couple different streams I fish are strictly wild reproducing trout... But the other streams... who knows... some of them have upwards of 10,000 trout per mi
stenacron likes this.