Favorite Small Stream Off to a Great Start

pab1

Reaction score
I went fishing today for the first time since the end of last November. After catching a few 7-10" fish I tied on a small woolhead sculpin pattern to see if I could move something a little bigger. I came to a nice stretch and caught another 10" on the sculpin. I started working it along the bank when I had a good hit and was almost instantly broken off. I saw the head of the fish and guessed it was at least 18" which is a very good fish for that stream. I decided to leave and come back later to try him again. There was a broken willow branch over the water (which might have helped break him off) right where the fish hit so I had a good landmark. I left the stream and hit the river it runs into for a while. I tied on an ugly streamer pattern I came up with this winter and caught several fish including a 15" rainbow. The pattern looks horrible when its dry. If I bought my flies I would not look twice at it. When its wet it looks pretty good though and the fish really seemed to like it. Then I came across this monster that didn't make it through the winter. I put my foot next to it for scale. I wear a size 11 wader.

That fish made everything I had caught so far seem tiny. It also made me feel under-gunned with the 4 weight rod I was using. A few hours had gone by since I had been broken off so I decided to head back to the small stream and give that fish another try. I approached the hole and started working my new streamer pattern down near the willow branch where he had hit before. After a few seconds I felt weight on the end of the line and raised the rod tip. I could tell it was a good fish. I rushed downstream to keep him from breaking me off on the willow branch and then got a good look at the fish. He looked bigger than I thought from the glimpse I got earlier. The fish took off downstream and I tried to keep up. After a good fight I was able to land the fish about 80 yards from where we started. It turned out to be a 22" rainbow. This is the biggest fish I have caught on this stream so far and a great way to start my 2012 season!

Last edited:

stimulator2

Reaction score
Nice fish, seems you have came up with a nice streamer pattern would you mind showing us a pic of it...

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
No wonder you suggested a small streamer swap-- great report and congrats on that fish

pab1

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Nice fish, seems you have came up with a nice streamer pattern would you mind showing us a pic of it...
No problem. I'll post a pic in the next day or so. Its nothing fancy and probably nothing too original but it seems to work.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Damn, pab...that is quite the report! My curiosity about your secret little crick is peaked again. The gazetteer is on the table here...you've given me some clues already, but assuming the feeder stream is open for fishing I can narrow down my search. ;)

Seriously though, congrats on the stellar first day out. I caught one 15" rainbow on my 1st day since November and felt quite good. That fish carcass looks like a spawned out salmon, that is a huge rainbow! Wow!

(Any fish on any of the small streamer swap flies?)

pab1

Reaction score
Thanks Dean! The dead rainbow is at least 27". I have not used any of the streamers from the swap yet. I'll probably take them out next weekend.

Here is the pattern I came up with this winter. The one in the center is the fly I used to catch the rainbow in the pic and several others that day. Probably nothing too original. I'm calling it Phil's Feather Duster. Feel free to let me know if I'm just reinventing the wheel and this pattern already exists. I was trying to come up with a minnow/sculpin pattern that appears to have some mass, but still be light enough for use on a 4 wt rod. At 2.25" when wet its a little larger than most of the small streamers I fish on a 4 wt. When its dry its does not look very impressive, but when its wet I think it looks pretty good.

Here are the materials:
-Size 8 3X Long Hook
-4mm Black Brass Bead
-.015 Lead Free Round Wire (16 wraps)
-Flashabou (Black on brown fly, yellow on olive fly, 3 strands per side for subtle flash)
-Strung Maribou (Tied on in 3 "clumps")
-Grizzly Maribou

Last edited: