The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM

ironlion will become famous soon enough
Default a small accomplishment

Last week while working in the shop I decided to learn how to tie my own flies. I figured if I am going to build boo rods, work in a fly shop, and guide... I better get on learning how to tie flies. The problem has always been with my schedule, it's either tying flies or fishing. Well in the shop I have had some free time to learn... So I tied my first fly

Click the image to open in full size.

It's pretty ugly, but I tied a few others as well as some pink San Juans. Saturday I fished a San Juan on the jacks (a small river our here) and so technically I caught my first trout (6" bow) with my own tied fly there. However, my first wb I tied myself caught a fish on the toccoa. I broke it in with this pretty brown...

After that I caught several brookies and called it a day. Another accomplishment in the fly fishing world

This brookie was actually caught several days earlier, but my one pic of the brookies I caught yesterday didn't turn out. This one looked better anyway...
attila likes this.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: a small accomplishment

Nicely done mate! Pretty rewarding stuff catching fish on flies you created eh?

That brownie is a great specimen! Very healthy looking fish!

Keep at 'er and soon you'll be devoting an entire room to fly tying. =P

Nick
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Awesome! I have to admit that one of the most rewarding elements that I have found in fly fishing is catching a fish on a fly that I tied myself.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty fish. Nothing more satisfying then getting em on one you tied yourself. Enjoy!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

fly tying is second only to fishing in my book. There is nothing like catching a fish on a fly that you tied yourself. Keep up the good work
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

All those fish are caught in GA? That's a pretty serious brookie, isn't it? A better question is, is tying any more difficult with a thumb and only three fingers??

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work, as the others have said, nothing beats catching fish on something you have tied! Very gratifying indeed, congrats!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
All those fish are caught in GA? That's a pretty serious brookie, isn't it? A better question is, is tying any more difficult with a thumb and only three fingers??
Fortunately my fourth finger is hidden behind that brookie, but my fly looked as if it were tied with three fingers!

And yes they were all caught in georgia, on the same river. They stock brookies every once and a while, and several have made it home. No brookie breeding in that river though. Only browns and bows.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I figured you were doing the pointer-finger prop maneuver, I was really hoping that you didn't actually only have three fingers because then I would look incredibly insensitive I may have to stop through that area on my way home...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I figured you were doing the pointer-finger prop maneuver, I was really hoping that you didn't actually only have three fingers because then I would look incredibly insensitive I may have to stop through that area on my way home...
If you do come through the area be sure to stop by Blue Ridge Fly Fishing in downtown Blue Ridge. I am in there from Tuesday through Saturday.