The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default How to fish a sculpin pattern?

I'll be at Bennett Spring State Park in a couple of weeks and I tied up a passable sculpin pattern today. Suggestions on how to fish it? Other than getting it deep, I have little else to go on.

This place is a spring creek with a lot of stocker rainbows 10-15" that dumps into the Niangua river. People sometimes catch big browns that swim in from the river looking for cooler water.

There are weeds and open areas of sand/small gravel. A couple of riffle areas are present, but its mostly pools and runs.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to fish a sculpin pattern?

Ah, I will be there mid-agust. You are right, get it down, particularly at the very end of rifles where they dump into pools can be very good for them. I've been working on some sculpins for the occasion also and have been tying them only in olive because it's the only wool I have right now but am going to get some brown and black. what's your pattern look like? I've been workign mine with a wool head, dubbed body, copper rib, olive marabou tail and pec fins made of a couple small hen saddle hackles. I also tie in a mallard flank on top tied flat.

I fished one the other day and it seriously looked like it was swimming, and weight the heck out of it. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are two things to know about sculpins. First, they hug the bottom. Second, they are not very fast swimmers.

Knowing those two things, can help you set up your presentation.

Since they hug the bottom and don't swim very fast, dead drift them with an indicator rig. A dead drift will move the fly at the water's pace over the streambed.

Another presentation is an upstream one using a fast sinking tip or sinking leader. Cast it upstream, allow the fly to sink, and strip in line as the rig comes down to you. When you strip in line, you are just taking in slack. Remember to keep your rod tip in the water as you take in slack. Be prepared for an obscene grab.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-12-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies, guys. This may be an excuse to invest in a sinking line.

Quote:
what's your pattern look like? I've been workign mine with a wool head, dubbed body, copper rib, olive marabou tail and pec fins made of a couple small hen saddle hackles. I also tie in a mallard flank on top tied flat.
My pattern is much simpler, as I am relatively inexperienced as a tier and I wanted to get something fishable I could make up quickly with materials at hand. I may expand my horizons along the lines of your pattern if I get a chance.

Here it is: Lead dumbbell eyes at the front and lead wire wrap.

For feathers I used two small mottled olive and black feather from a cabelas grab bag tied at the rear of the hook. (They are a relatively short, broad feather rather than long like a saddle hackle feather or mallard flank).

I added a couple more slightly larger ones just in front in front to make the body taper down. I stripped 2-3 more feathers of the aftshaft fuzz and created a thick mottled dubbing for the rest of the hookshaft and used the feathers themselves for a bushy hackle done palmer style.

It looks closer to a woolly bugger than anything, but using body feathers instead of marabou.

Your pattern has given me a few ideas to improve it: it might be time to start learning to use deer hair and make a head. That would significantly improve the design. Also, to incorporate the mallard flank might help with the profile, as mine tends to be a little too boxy as I compare it to sculpin pictures. A couple of those feathers I was using for the body would make great pectoral fins as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Try a Barr's Slumpbuster, easy tie and very affective.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm