The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Great Smokey Mtns. Nat. Park - 10/25?

I am contemplating a fly fishing trip to the park the weekend of 10/26-28. I was in Chapel Hill last weekend, so I know first hand that NC is really, really suffering for lack of rain and water. Exactly how bad are conditions in the park and how has it affected fly fishing in the park? I don't expect fly fishing in the park to be "normal", but will it be worth making the trip at all? For those of you in the area or those who have made a recent visit, if you were contemplating a first time visit to fish the park would you give it a miss and come back after the winter rains inevitably begin, or is it worth a visit next weekend despite tough conditions?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. My attitude is that there is no "bad" fly fishing, but some times are definitely better than others. That said, I'd hate to make a ~500 mile trip only to look at dry gulches.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Randy Ratliff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Smokey Mtns. Nat. Park - 10/25?

The streams in the GSMNP are low, but some are a little better than others.

We got some rain in the mountains last night. The Little River is up slightly. And there is more to come. The Weather Service is saying there is 40% chance for rain Monday and an 80% chance Monday night and Tuesday. They also say showers are likely on Wednesday, a 60% chance. The chance drops to 30% on Thursday.

If we get this rain it will help and fishing will be better when you get here.

Hope this helps
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM

rjrich43 is on a distinguished road

water level are very low so trout are hard to come by except in outfitter stocked areas of western n carolina.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rjrich43,

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. What is an outfitter stocked area in the park?

Frank